My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Blocking interference on some recordings

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

thesaint

I have suddenly started getting interference on some recordings, in the form of blockiness. No trouble for the past say 5 years.
    I have checked the signal strengh and quality of all channels and almost without exception is shows full strength (using the method of cycling through each channel and then pressing "i" to get the strength and quality bars at the bottom right of the display)
    I do use the machine very often so I suppose its possible that the disc is becoming worn.
    What is your opinion?

| Thu 7 May 2015 19:47:15 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Signal Quality is what you want to look at together with the weather conditions at the time of recording.

Doubt it is the disk I would expect much more serious problems.

| Fri 8 May 2015 6:33:25 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

thesaint

Good morning "REPASSAC"
    Thank you for your opinion as to my problem. I am sure your comments are true; but I think not in my case.
    The weather here has been good recently and whenever I have checked signal strength and quality (admittedly not during the recording); the channels concerned (mainly channel 4 HD) at around 1300 - "Home in the sun" - Has been top strength and quality.
    I will be interested to see if anyone else has had my problems with a well used machine. Even if no such problem has been experienced; I welcome comments, such as saying, "My box is 5 years old and still working fine"

| Fri 8 May 2015 7:38:29 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The strangest cause of occasional loss / poor signal was finally traced to a bird perching on the LNB arm. Grease solved the problem.

If the problem occurs mainly on one channel / frequency / time it would suggest that RF interference is a possibility.

| Fri 8 May 2015 8:09:57 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

thesaint

Thanks your further suggestion "REPASSAC". This one is a strong contender as the source of my problem, because only a few days ago I noted that a birds nest was in progress of construction just behind the receiving dish.
    I removed it. Perhaps the would be tenants sit upon the arm wondering where their habitation has gone. Or they observed the wreckers at work and have calculated the line of sight between the twin LNBs & the dish, then decided to seek revenge by blocking it.
    Yes, grease seems a good idea. Sadly - well not completely sadly - I am on a months cruise now; so the lubricant will have to wait until I return. I shall have to hope that the recordings I have Scheduled will not be compromised.

| Sat 9 May 2015 8:02:17 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.