My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

'boot' on display and HDR not booting

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

paddy

Hi Can anyone help? I've got 'boot' on my HDR display and not booting. I took the lid off and removed the hard drive. Tried again and it boots without the hard drive. I guess it boots from firmware on the board when the drive is removed. Can I try any SATA drive ? Any tips.
    Will Humax replace it? I got it for christmas last year?

| Fri 9 Dec 2011 23:44:32 #1 |
  2. FenderBender

FenderBender

administrator

Have you got much to lose off the disk? If not, try reformatting it.

| Fri 9 Dec 2011 23:55:24 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

First try reconnecting the HDD, pushing the data connection firmly in. Does it now boot ?

Welcome by the way.

| Fri 9 Dec 2011 23:55:30 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

paddy

Thanks for the swift replies,

Fenderbender, When the drive is connected it wont boot so I cant format it as it doesn't get that far. Did you mean to put the drive in a p.c. and format it from there? If so, do I format to any pc format?

grahamlthompson tried a reseat of the drive nothing changed I'm afraid.
    An hour Later I've jumped the gun a bit and put the drive in a USB encloseure. My windows 7 laptop sees 4 heathy partitions which must be good but there aren't any volume letters assigned so It doesn't display in 'my computer' scanning the forums I see the drive is formatted ext3 which I know nothing about, shall I attempt to format the drive?

| Sat 10 Dec 2011 9:19:09 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Install EXT2FSD and you will be able to read the drive.

http://www.ext2fsd.com/

If you can read all the partitions you can copy the contents of your video folder to your PC to safeguard them. Formatting will destroy all your contents. If the drive is readable it looks as if you have a hardware fault on your hdr. If you have another sata drive install it in the hdr (Max 1TB) to see if the box will initialise it for you.

| Sat 10 Dec 2011 10:42:04 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

paddy

Thanks grahamlthompson, the http://www.extfsd.coms is unreachable at the moment. If I format it in some pc format say ntfs will the HDR still reformat it to what it requires? I'm not too worried about saving the recordings as long as I can get the box working.
    OR perhaps I can plug the USB caddy into the HDR and format it from there?

| Sat 10 Dec 2011 11:22:45 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

paddy - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks grahamlthompson, the http://www.extfsd.coms is unreachable at the moment. If I format it in some pc format say ntfs will the HDR still reformat it to what it requires? I'm not too worried about saving the recordings as long as I can get the box working.
    OR perhaps I can plug the USB caddy into the HDR and format it from there?

The link must be screwed

http://www.ext2fsd.com/

The foxsat can't format usb connected drives

| Sat 10 Dec 2011 11:41:06 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

paddy

Ok grahamlthompson it's going well, I now have the drive mounted on my laptop and can see 4 partitions. I guess there must be corruption on the disk then as the HDR is not seeing it. Should I now format it and try again?

Actually where is the format option? Ah, - my computer and right click on the partition?

| Sat 10 Dec 2011 12:09:57 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

paddy - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Ok grahamlthompson it's going well, I now have the drive mounted on my laptop and can see 4 partitions. I guess there must be corruption on the disk then as the HDR is not seeing it. Should I now format it and try again?
    Actually where is the format option? Ah, - my computer and right click on the partition?

Can you open the partition 3 (if i remember right) and open the video folder. You should see all your recordings (some in folders). Copy a smallish SD recording (all three files .ts .hmt .nts) to a usb pen. Stick it in the hdr, press media red and select the usb drive. Can you play back the video.

Next connect the hdr's HDD to the usb port, open it as above. Open the sda3 and the video folder. Can you play back your recordings ?

| Sat 10 Dec 2011 12:25:43 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

paddy

I've put the USB pen drive in with a 30 minute recording with the 3 files. The HDR has a banner saying 'USB device has been connected' but will not open the 'media' menu.
    HDD Control is greyed out in the system menu. I supose it wont do anything without the HDD installed.

| Sat 10 Dec 2011 12:42:17 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.