My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

'boot' on display and HDR not booting

(17 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

paddy - 5 minutes ago  » 
    I've put the USB pen drive in with a 30 minute recording with the 3 files. The HDR has a banner saying 'USB device has been connected' but will not open the 'media' menu.

Long shot I was hoping the media menu would still give access to the usb port despite the fact you haven't got a hdd installed. You at least have the capability to save your recordings if you wish before formatting the drive.

| Sat 10 Dec 2011 12:50:41 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

paddy

Thanks, Shall I format all 4 partitions?

| Sat 10 Dec 2011 12:52:53 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

paddy - 34 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks, Shall I format all 4 partitions?

If it was me I would use Easeus Partition Manager to delete all the existing partitions and format the whole disc EXT3.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

| Sat 10 Dec 2011 13:29:57 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

paddy

Well it's all been a complete success. I formatted the 3 partitions not containing the video files and put the drive back in the HDR hoping for the best. The HDR then came up and said HD will be formatted. This lead me to believe that all 4 partitions would be formatted. BUT NO! All my recordings are still there and play fine! Must have been a corrupt boot partition. And the box is clever enough just to re-make the empty partitions!

Thank you grahamlthompson for all your help, what a result!

| Sat 10 Dec 2011 13:33:36 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

paddy - 24 minutes ago  » 
    Well it's all been a complete success. I formatted the 3 partitions not containing the video files and put the drive back in the HDR. The hdr then came up and said HD will be formatted. This lead me to believe that all 4 partitions would be formatted. BUT NO! All my recordings are still there and play fine!
    Thank you grahamlthompson for all your help, what a result!

That's brilliant news and one to remember.

| Sat 10 Dec 2011 13:58:41 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardHenshall

FWIW, I had a similar problem 500GB drive in an HDR that refused to boot. I tried the drive in a 9300 and it worked fine, including re-formatting. Back in the HDR, nada!

I eventually put it in a USB enclosure connected to my PC and formatted to NTFS, reinstalled it in the HDR, which booted, re-formatted and it works well since.

| Mon 12 Dec 2011 15:20:51 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

RichardHenshall - 9 minutes ago  » 
    FWIW, I had a similar problem 500GB drive in an HDR that refused to boot. I tried the drive in a 9300 and it worked fine, including re-formatting. Back in the HDR, nada!
    I eventually put it in a USB enclosure connected to my PC and formatted to NTFS, reinstalled it in the HDR, which booted, re-formatted and it works well since.

Interesting. This, to me, suggests some sort of corruption of the file system which it might (ought?) be possible to sort out non destructively.

| Mon 12 Dec 2011 15:32:10 #17 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.