My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

BT DTR-T4000 - Does it work without a subscription

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

crunchie

I have an FVP-4000t but it seems really sluggish and unreliable. I've seen the DTR-T4000 models are pretty cheap second hand.

If i get one and don't have a BT sub, is it a chore to use freeview on it?
    Does the BT content take priority making it hard to get to the freeview guide etc?

| Sun 12 Feb 2017 22:47:15 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Sub or not should make no difference, however read this:

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/salient-points-from-faqs#post-8597

The YouView units are missing many basic functions most would consider are a necessity for a PVR.

| Sun 12 Feb 2017 23:12:40 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

crunchie

Thanks, not really seeing anything in there that i'd miss apart from padding and even then i haven't had to use that in the last year or so.

It would be nice if someone with a dtr-t4000 did a good youtube video showing the GUI/responsiveness.
    There aren't any decent review videos on youtube at the moment.

| Sun 12 Feb 2017 23:29:55 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

crunchie - 48 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks, not really seeing anything in there that i'd miss apart from padding and even then i haven't had to use that in the last year or so.
    It would be nice if someone with a dtr-t4000 did a good youtube video showing the GUI/responsiveness.

I have recently subscribed to BT Youview TV and have the DTR-T2100 - £60 for the year including free box, what's not to like.

Although I still have and use our HDR-1000s Freesat box, I am really liking the Youview experience. I have put our HDR-2000T back in it's box and haven't missed the 'extra features' of that unit in the slightest.

The BT DTR-2100 Youview+ box is small ,silent, and very responsive. Does everything I want it to do, plus I have now got quite a number of premium IPTV channels which provide excellent PQ. BTW you can also record the Internet channels.

I think the only difference in the two boxes is the one you're interested in has the UHD tuner and a larger HDD.

| Mon 13 Feb 2017 0:25:48 #4 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

crunchie - 10 hours ago  » 

I would not want to be without the option for:

Manual timer scheduling - No
    Edit timer function - No
    Instant timer extend duration option - No

and

The less said about the latest update and new UI the better - it has not been universally welcomed.

| Mon 13 Feb 2017 9:48:06 #5 |
  6. gomezz

gomezz

special member

I have my BT Youview DTR-T2100 mainly for watching MotoGP but prefer to use my Digitalstream PVR for most of my Freeview watching as the modded firmware lets me set hammock timers with flexible repeat patterns and the UI is just plain better and less clunky than Youview.

I also have a Humax Freesat PVR which gives me better reception for the channels broadcast on the temporary low power Freeview MUXes such as BBC4 HD but since that has joined the Digitalstream in no longer being supported by BBC iPlayer then Youview is the go to device for watching the free catch up services on my main TV (casting from my tablet or HDMI from my laptop are other options especially for subscription services not available on BT Youview such as Now TV for sport and MotoGP Video Pass - which I am trialling for the off season test sessions as a potential alternative to staying with BT TV / Sport).

| Mon 13 Feb 2017 11:53:35 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

crunchie

Thanks all for the replies. I traded in my FVP-4000T and a got a DTR-T4000 and all it cost me was £4 on top of the trade-in.

The DTR-T4000 is night and day a much better box. It is SO much faster to navigate! No annoying lags whatsoever, running the latest firmware.

The remote is much easier to use as well. The FVP400T remote wasn't very ergonomic and I had to look at it to find which button to press. The DTR remote is more tactile and has buttons where you expect them to be.

The EPG is much more fluid and scrolling back to catch-up programs is seamless, unlike on the FVP-4000t which felt very cumbersome.

I think the FVP-4000T may have slightly better upscaling but i'm not sure there is really much in it.

Overall, i'm glad i'm made the switch.

| Wed 15 Feb 2017 21:11:22 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I think you will enjoy it. One area where I would disagree with you and that is the remote. I find the buttons around the centre ring far to small and close together. I constantly hit the outer ring of buttons when meaning to use the inner ring thus taking me out of whatever I was intending to do. I suppose it all depends how big your fingers are.

I really like the Youview experience and find this little box very fluid in operation.

| Thu 16 Feb 2017 0:30:05 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.