My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

can i watch on laptop from external hard drive?

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bob793

how to watch programmes recorded on humax foxsat hdr on my laptop? I have 2 external hard drives, can i watch on xp laptop. Software to read ext3?

| Sat 25 Feb 2012 11:21:46 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Provided you are talking about SD recordings or HD non encrypted made in non freesat mode then EXT2FSD will let you use an EXT3 in Windows.

http://www.ext2fsd.com/?p=112

You could consider Raydons Media Streamer bundle for the HDR that lets you stream suitable content directly to your PC.

| Sat 25 Feb 2012 11:33:55 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

bob793

thanks for reply, yes, sd recordings only. I've downloaded ext2fsd. What next? windows recognises fat32 format hd but not ext3 hd. I have one of each. Play ext3 hd would be better if can't do both. ext2fsd gives me a volume manager-I don't know what to do with it.

| Sat 25 Feb 2012 20:12:12 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

bob793 - 58 minutes ago  » 
    thanks for reply, yes, sd recordings only. I've downloaded ext2fsd. What next? windows recognises fat32 format hd but not ext3 hd. I have one of each. Play ext3 hd would be better if can't do both. ext2fsd gives me a volume manager-I don't know what to do with it.

Click on the drive icon and choose mount. It will then appear as any other drive on your PC. Simply navigate to the .ts file of your recording in the Video folder using a media player of your choice. The free Splash-lite is a good choice.

| Sat 25 Feb 2012 21:14:22 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

bob793

I can't see "mount" anywhere in ext2 volume manager. I can see the hard drive in top window with hdrive icon and also in bottom window as disk2. Downloaded splashlite but can not see hard drive when I try to open file.

| Sun 26 Feb 2012 4:46:31 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

When you open the application you should see a top window with all your mounted drives and a bottom window with all the connected drives including the EXT3 Volume. In the lower window right click on the EXT3 volume and choose to mount it. It should then be in top window as a mounted drive with a standard windows drive letter.

| Sun 26 Feb 2012 10:40:03 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

bob793

right clicked disk2 (ext3) on lower window. I get the following options

ext2 management
    change drive letter
    flush cache to disk
    change partition type
    copy to clipboard
    reload and refresh
    show properties
    service management
    ext2fsd statistics
    remove dead letters

selected ext2 management

selected apply to the already ticked box beside "mount volume in readonly mode"

I can see no change to the drive in the top window. It has no drive letter. I don't know whether it's mounted or not. Under the physical object column it is described as \device\harddiskvolume4 I'm not sure but it might have been volume3 before I did this.

You'll have realised by now if you didn't from the start that I'm not a computer expert by any stretch and am looking for fool proof step by step instructions. I do appreciate any help I can get though.

| Sun 26 Feb 2012 23:18:13 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It's so long ago when I first installed EXT2FS that I can't remember exactly what the steps I used to mount the drive the first time I used it. It must have been fairly intuitive. When I connect a EXT3 drive now and run the software it mounts the drive as Drive G automatically. Screengrab of the software window and windows file explorer here with an EXT3 usb drive connected. (It's the recording drive from my HD FOX T2)

http://www.4shared.com/photo/UdiKSH8j/EXT3Image.html

| Mon 27 Feb 2012 9:53:51 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.