My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Can you copy video to Humax Foxsat HDR

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

charliej1

I have a friend in Spain that uses my Sling Box connected to my Humax box to view UK TV. I was wondering if it were possible to upload films from my PC to the Humax so that my friend could view by accessing the Humax and browsing the Media files via the Sling Box

| Thu 14 Feb 2013 23:18:39 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You need Raydons AV2HDR programme. The Foxsat needs additional support files to play back non native video.

http://myhumax.org/blog/?page_id=166

| Thu 14 Feb 2013 23:32:41 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

charliej1

Hi Graham

Thank you for the information and help. The good news is that I've followed your blog and managed to upgrade the firmware on the Humax and loaded via http the additional support files. I've managed to convert an avi to MPG and ran Raydons AV2HDR program. However when I click the HDD button I get an error "Connection to HDR using IP 192.168.2.14 on Port 21 failed. I think I need to activate the FTP access in my Humax but don't know how. Could you give me a definitive "Idiots guide" that would help me do what I initially wanted to do and that is upload a MPG film to the HDD video folder.

| Fri 15 Feb 2013 21:15:13 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Partridge2

Hi - yes you need to additionally install custom firmware onto the Foxsat HDR itself. While the network port of the Foxsat HDR is active when you buy it (for things like BBC iPlayer), the machine does not come with other network services like FTP (which you can indeed use to upload the files from AV2HDR onto the Foxsat HDR).

The custom firmware and lots of installation instructions and documentation are available here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1661195-media-file-server-bundle-foxsat-hdr-release-4-0-part-3-a.html

| Sat 16 Feb 2013 0:25:20 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

custom firmware is the way to go. Your friend will probably be able to view the buffer as well, i.e. what you're currently tuned into and in the Humax's buffer (chase play).
    I've no experience of the slingbox, however some of the downloaded stuff I've saved has been 200MB whereas the original would have been 1-2GB
    My download speed is adequate, but the upload adsl obviously poor around 300 - 500 KBps. My adsl connection isn't fast enough to allow a friend to connect and download HD and possibly SD content.

I'm sure others have achieved something similar with vpn or port forwarding direct via their router without a slingbox, however I'm sure upload speed remains an issue.

If you do get this to work then I'd be interested in a quick update as to how and what problems you encountered as well as your adsl/cable speeds and I'm sure there'll be a few others interested as well.
    thanks and good luck

| Sat 16 Feb 2013 1:40:44 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

charliej1

Hi All

I'd already managed to load the custom software and have got Mongoose running and installed Samba which is also running with Mongoose. How do I now put a MPG video file onto my HDR. When I run AV2HR and load my MPG into it I do create a TS video file. However when I click the HDD button next to the USB Button, which I assume is me telling AV2HR to copy to the Humax box, I get the error "Connection to HDR using IP 192.168.2.14 on Port 21 failed". It is here I'm stuck.Is it anything to do with firewalls etc. Thank you all for your help.

| Sat 16 Feb 2013 9:31:35 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Did you install one of the FTP servers which AV2HDR is trying to use. If you did check the AV2HDR FTP settings.

| Sat 16 Feb 2013 10:13:13 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

charliej1

Hi Repassac

I've now managed to access my HD by searching for \\Foxsat-HDR\Media this opened the media folder on the Foxsat. Great I thought I then copied the 3 ts, nts & hmt files created by AV2HDR to the HDD of the foxsat. When I browse to the media folder via the http browser connection, the film I copied appears there, but when I go to the HDR to play the film the "Media" menu of the Foxsat does not display the film hence I cannot select it to play. I feel I'm almost there but need help with this final hurdle (I hope)

| Sat 16 Feb 2013 15:50:26 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The path in the HMT will be incorrect.
    Either do it via AV2HDR (which will use ftp and will be correct) or use the webif rename (changing nothing) [think this is an opt+ sub option). This will correct the path for you.

| Sat 16 Feb 2013 17:02:49 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

charliej1

Hi All

At last managed to do it. Firstly I had to install vsFTPd (not obvious from the AV2HDR help menu. Should have advised that for it to work would need some sort of FTP handler. Hey ho cest la vie. Next bit, not obvious, was to access file and select edit HMT and browse to the previously converted MPG to TS format. Then and again not obvious, one has to hit the HDD button and wait for the bottom action button to change to FTP. After all of this it worked and low and behold the film appeared in the Humax media folder. Thanks again for all your help, I wouldn't have done it without you. May I suggest that Raydons AV2HDR has a more comprehensive help menu which should include and idiots guide for numbnuts like me.

| Sun 17 Feb 2013 10:51:47 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.