My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Can you copy video to Humax Foxsat HDR

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

charliej1 - 4 hours ago  » 
    May I suggest that Raydons AV2HDR has a more comprehensive help menu which should include and idiots guide for numbnuts like me.

Sorry Charlie, but if I had to write a help file to cover every possible eventuality, including the provision of a basic networking tutorial, I would need to write an encyclopaedia. Basic skills like networking need to be learned. You don't buy a car then expect the salesman to teach you to drive. And in the case of AV2HDR you don't even have to pay for it. May I suggest that a thank you always helps, before criticising something simply because you don't understand it.

| Sun 17 Feb 2013 15:30:46 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

Hey raydon, don't sweat it. Having run your custom firmware for about six months now and found it stable and highly useful, I don't think you could make things any easier. If you want to share things via FTP/SMB/other method then you need to know about those standards, simple as that. I have a good grounding in general computer networking and found getting the Foxsat HDR "talking" to other devices on the network was much simpler than I expected as compared to almost anything else. Certainly far easier than configuring Windows 7 to use older style SMB sharing without password protection (that's a right pain the first few times you do it.)

| Tue 19 Feb 2013 1:10:50 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

charliej1

Apologies one and all especially you Raydon. I come from a past that included technical support and whilst your comments towards me are valid, you cannot expect your audience to be as gen'ed up as your good self. Thank you's do go a long way and please take this reply as a massive thank you. Hopefully you can now help me as I seem to have lost the ability to reconnect via keying in my ip address to view the HDD. However the AV2HDR still works and am able to put TS files onto the Humax but am not able to browse it via IP address. It all went pear shaped after installing vsFTPd. Thank you again.

| Fri 22 Feb 2013 10:48:03 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

charliej1 - 9 hours ago  » 
    Apologies one and all especially you Raydon. I come from a past that included technical support and whilst your comments towards me are valid, you cannot expect your audience to be as gen'ed up as your good self.

Hi Charlie, I don't expect my audience to be as 'gen'ed up' as me. And I don't expect that my audience should expect me to teach them what they don't know. AV2HDR can use FTP to transfer files, so if you want to use this function then get "gen'ed up" on FTP client/server. It's a subject on its own and beyond the remit of AV2HDR.
    Thank you's do go a long way and please take this reply as a massive thank you. Hopefully you can now help me as I seem to have lost the ability to reconnect via keying in my ip address to view the HDD. However the AV2HDR still works and am able to put TS files onto the Humax but am not able to browse it via IP address. It all went pear shaped after installing vsFTPd. Thank you again.
    Just installing vsFTPd should not have stopped the web interface from working. However, to check what's wrong you are going to have to learn about another network utility called telnet. If you have not already installed telnet via the web interface the you will need to install it via USB. The installer package is in the same rar archive as the custom firmware. Just copy the file 'telnet_1.0_mips.opk' to a USB stick. (Advice on USB installs are in the readme.txt).
    If you are using Windows XP then the telnet client is enabled by default. If your using Windows 7 the you need to enable it. See directions here on how to do this. Then open a command line window and type telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx replacing x's with your HDR's IP address. You should be rewarded with a prompt like this Foxsat-HDR~#. Then enter service to list the running sevices. It should look like this.
    Foxsat-HDR~# service

Name Installed Autostart Running
    ---- --------- --------- -------
    telnet Yes Yes Yes
    dropbear Yes Yes Yes
    tinyftp Yes No No
    vsftpd Yes Yes Yes
    samba Yes Yes Yes
    mediatomb Yes No No
    twonkymedia Yes No No
    mongoose Yes Yes Yes
    inadyn No No No

Syntax:
    service start <service>
    service stop <service>
    service toggle <service> (toggles service state)
    service auto <service> (toggles autostart)

Foxsat-HDR~#
    You should have three Yes's for mongoose web server.
    If autostart says 'No' then enter service auto mongoose
    If running says 'No' the enter service start mongoose
    Then enter service on its own again to recheck status. If mongoose fails to start for any reason then you will at least see an error message. In that case let me know and we'll take it from there.

| Fri 22 Feb 2013 20:29:01 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

charliej1

Thank you Raydon. Telnet installed, Windows 8 telnet client enabled, ran cmd and was able to "telnet", set up Mongoose with three yes's under service command, keyed in telnet "ip". Result success. Raydon you have inadvertently passed over to me a great deal of very useful information that has taught me well, take a well deserved bow. Is it possible that I was locked out previously because I'd set up a password under settings and basically locked myself out? I'm curious to understand why it all of a sudden stopped allowing me access. Any how I'm up and running and once again thank you for your help

| Sun 24 Feb 2013 13:42:35 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

charliej1 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Is it possible that I was locked out previously because I'd set up a password under settings and basically locked myself out? I'm curious to understand why it all of a sudden stopped allowing me access.

Hi Charlie, you didn't say what the initial state of the mongoose service was, when you first telnet'ed in. If Auto was 'Off' then you must have turned off 'Auto Startup' for mongoose via the Service Management page in the Web interface. In that case you would get no response at all when trying to access the HDR via a web browser. If you had just set a user name and password for Web Interface access then you would have still have been prompted for this username and password by the mongoose web server. If you forgot the password the you can use another little utility to reset it. Details on this utility can be found here.

| Sun 24 Feb 2013 16:05:24 #16 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.