My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Cannot access WLAN

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

RICWALLAR

I've been using the machine for nearly a year, no problems, nothing's changed. My wifi network is functional (tested Apple TV and iPod). But Humax has suddenly decided it's not connected to the internet. I've rebooted but makes no difference. In Settings the WLAN network has a tick beside its name but On Demand gives a message to connect to the Internet. I go to Network Settings, Network Connection Status and get Failed. IP address shown is 169.254.18.19 but it should be 192.168.1.73. I note this refers to LAN, not WLAN. I can't see any way to manually change it. I go to Configure WLAN, put in the correct password and the system hangs at "Checking your network connection". It sits there for at least an hour until I give up.
    What is going on and how do I rectify it? Any advice gratefully received.

| Tue 7 Feb 2017 23:08:08 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi,

the 169.x.x.x IP range is normally given/assigned as a default when the box cannot connect to a network.

You mention it's been rebooted, does this mean switched off and physically disconnected from the mains for at least 10 - 20 seconds?

If a proper reboot hasn't helped, have you rebooted the router?
    If a router reboot doesn't help then look at what may have changed (I know you've stated nothing's changed). A new electrical device or something physically moved can have an effect. I assume the ipod works in the vicinity of the humax. You can get apps for phones/tablets that display wifi signal strength which may be useful for checking wifi signal levels.
    Passwords are normally uppercase with no spaces and you should be able to connect within a minute or so, there's no point leaving it longer than a couple of minutes.
    You mention it normally has 192.168.1.73, usually the ip address is given/assigned from a pool unless it's been configured in the router to give a fixed address for that particular device.

If you've properly rebooted everything, double checked, re-done password, double checked again etc. then as a last resort I would factory reset the fvp4000t without format. You will lose the recording schedule so make a note of this first. There's a chance that wifi still may not work which might still be a local environment issue or a faulty component/box. If you've been using on-demand in the past with no drop-outs problems etc. then the wifi signal should be sufficient. A set of 500mbps home plugs can be got for less than £20 and personally I would take home plugs over wifi everytime, although your local environment may rule them out.
    Unless someone else has a better idea and none of the above works then I can only imagine the choice is contacting Humax customer service for a replacement if they think it's faulty or purchasing a set of home plugs. I would be surprised though if you can't get it working again by a process of rebooting, double checking and resetting.

| Wed 8 Feb 2017 1:28:59 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

RICWALLAR

Hi Damian
    Many thanks for your detailed advice. Yes, I did a full reboot, physically turned off & unplugged the unit from mains electricity for at least 5 minutes. I didn't reboot router as other devices are connecting OK and chosen password is definitely correct. However I have now rebooted the main router & the access point (& Humax again) but no change. (We use a Ubiquiti access point for the living room; house wiring doesn't allow for a home plug system.)
    If I factory reset presumably I won't lose previously recorded programmes which are on the internal hard drive? Not worried about losing schedules. I believe that when the device was set up (by my son-in-law who is an installer of all this sort of stuff) it was given a fixed IP address. Haven't been able to speak to him yet but hopefully he'll sort it when he's able. Thought I'd try the forum first though, as he's so busy!
    Thanks.

| Wed 8 Feb 2017 9:11:05 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

As damian said a "reset the fvp4000t without format" will retain recordings.

When you reset the router, access point and Humax - you did wait for each unit to finish it's boot before resetting the next unit?

Normally 169.x.x.x ip addresses is assigned where there is no fixed ip address and a DHCP server cannot be reached.

You mention you thought your son-in-law assigned a static ip address - I would expect he would have achieved that by assigning an address reservation in the router.

| Wed 8 Feb 2017 9:58:44 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

RICWALLAR

OK, I have now done all the following in the order described, allowing each reboot to settle before the next step:
    Factory reset without format
    Upgraded software (by USB)to UKTFAE 1.01.57
    Physically disconnected Humax from power
    Physically disconnected router and access point from power
    Rebooted router. Works fine for PC
    Rebooted access point. Works fine for laptop, Apple TV & iPad in same room as TV/Humax. Confirmed these are operating on the same network and password is correct.
    Reconnected Humax to power.
    No internet connection for On Demand. WLAN configuration failed. Shows 169.... IP address. This says it's relating to the Local Area Network, even though it was the WLAN I was trying to configure. Don't know if that's relevant.
    Second factory reset without format.
    During setup after reset WLAN configuration hangs. Before starting it the WLAN name is not ticked. After several minutes configuration failed message appears.
    After setup completion I retried the WLAN configuration. This time, before starting it the WLAN name did have a tick beside it. But the configuration failed (hang, had to be abandoned.

We've been using On Demand for BBC iPlayer on many occasions over the past year so the wifi signal and everything else should be fine. I guess it must be a failure in the device, exactly a year after purchase. But glad I have an extended warranty.

| Wed 8 Feb 2017 16:29:45 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Check your router settings that the DHCP server is active.

Does your router have a WPS button or a setting to broadcast the SSID - If so you need to set this before you try and select the wireless LAN otherwise it won't know it is there.

| Wed 8 Feb 2017 16:52:59 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi,

It's probably best to wait for your son-in-law otherwise we'll be sending you on a wild goose chase.

There are a number of things it could be, too many things to check easily.

Can you use your laptop or phone as an access point? Sometimes called tethering. If so the humax should be able to connect to that instead and obtain an ip address and would prove the humax to be in order. Alternatively unplug the router and plug it into the lounge close to the humax, it doesn't need phone/internet line, again the humax should be able to connect and obtain an ip address. Internet access is unimportant at this stage as you're simply testing the wifi module in the humax.

I'd hazard a guess the access point isn't working properly or there's a slim chance your router has had an automatic firmware upgrade and factory reset itself thus losing the configuration your son-in-law set up.

Let us know in due course what the problem and solution was

| Wed 8 Feb 2017 18:02:03 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

RICWALLAR

Thanks for both replies & suggestions. It's all rather beyond me - after all I am 70 later this year
    I'll definitely leave any fiddling around to son-in-law Keith otherwise we might end up not even being able to watch ordinary telly!
    The Ubiquiti access point must surely be working OK as it's feeding the laptop, iPad & Apple TV & iPhone when I go in that room.
    In my router (Plusnet) management one of the networked devices is called: 09AA01AC341611TS. The others are the access point, ipad & laptop & Apple TV so maybe that refers to the Humax? I wonder if the description code sounds familiar.

I've contacted Humax who helpfully sent instructions to do the following:
    "add your Humax Box in your modem/router as an exception with full access in your security settings.
    You will need to ensure that the following ports are opened on your router for the Humax Box.
    HTTP: 80
    HTTP: 8080
    SSL: 443
    If you are not seeing the router/hub and cannot connect then the issue can be caused by the default WiFi encryption protocol on the router. Make sure that the Hub is set to "WPA" auto or "WPA-PSK"(Tkip). If the box is unable to connect then you would need to try the router on WEP temporarily to rule out any WiFi security issues."

All rather beyond me but might be helpful to Keith.
    Thanks again. I'll post what transpires in due course.

| Wed 8 Feb 2017 18:27:31 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

RICWALLAR

Stupid old git (that's me)!
    I didn't reboot the access point properly. Just unplugged it from the router, didn't realise I had to unplug the PoE mains connection.
    That's done the trick. Still don't know why it happened but it's sorted. Thanks for all the help guys.

| Wed 8 Feb 2017 21:00:52 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Thanks for the update and I'm really pleased you stuck with it and sorted it out. Just one of those glitches that happens from time to time.

| Thu 9 Feb 2017 12:48:21 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.