My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Cannot adjust Volume on HD Broadcasts

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardR

When watching live HD channel or watching on catchup the volume control on the 5000T remote doesn't work. Is this normal? It's fine on live SD channels.

| Fri 20 Sep 2019 13:28:56 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Should work OK on catch up unless the source has dolby digital audio. . Reason why it doesn't work on HD is down to the AAC audio which can only be varied after it is de-coded. Simple work around is tell the box to recode AAC to mpeg 1 layer 2 stereo.

Freeview-Play - Press right to select settings and press OK

General Settings - right and down to Audio and press OK.

Change HDMI to Stereo

| Fri 20 Sep 2019 13:40:39 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardR

Thank you for your response Graham.

If I make this change to recordings with dolby digital audio, I assume that I sacrifice the ability to listen to the encoded audio. For quiz shows etc this is no loss. Can I make the change during catch-up without affecting the recording of the current and future broadcasts? And then change it back afterwards?

One of the reasons for being able to record in HD is to capture dolby digital sound, so it seems a retrograde step to listen in stereo. I'd rather use two remotes.

| Mon 30 Sep 2019 20:30:28 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

RichardR - 16 mins ago  » 
    Thank you for your response Graham.
    If I make this change to recordings with dolby digital audio, I assume that I sacrifice the ability to listen to the encoded audio. For quiz shows etc this is no loss. Can I make the change during catch-up without affecting the recording of the current and future broadcasts? And then change it back afterwards?
    One of the reasons for being able to record in HD is to capture dolby digital sound, so it seems a retrograde step to listen in stereo. I'd rather use two remotes.

Not sure how two remotes can help. If the box is set to output PCM stereo you can vary the volume using the Humax remote, if set to output Dolby Digital the volume can only be varied after the data is decoded. That means either a AV receiver or a TV volume control. Using a Harmony remote you can allocate the TV (or AV receiver) to control the volume rather than the Humax box. This will work for both PCM and Dolby Digital.

Changing the setting does not affect the Audio recorded to the Hard Disk. This will always be in Dolby Digital for a HD channel and PCM for SD. The setting only changes the audio format output over HDMI when you replay the content. It's to maintain compatibility with kit that cannot use Dolby Digital (AAC for Freeview-HD).

| Mon 30 Sep 2019 20:51:57 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.