My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Can't find USB in File Manager

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sampaguita

Hello all Humax PVR owners, my first post here.

My Foxsat HDR hard drive is almost full and I want to record some of the video files onto DVD. I attempted to hook up a DVD recorder, but the realized the synchronisation was going to be very difficult; after reading through various posts on this forum I think the simplest way is to copy the files to a USB pen-drive, and then burn the DVD on my PC (as I understand I need to download a program in order to open the Humax's shell file).

However after plugging in an 8GB USB and going to file manager (media list, opt +), all I see on the screen are two panels with the file lists, both the same HDD drive. I can't find the USB drive, nor a copy command.

Would greatly appreciate if anyone can clue me in on how to copy over to the USB and any other tips about burning the files to DVD's

| Sat 19 May 2012 7:48:09 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Looks like the HDR isn't seeing the external drive.

When you insert the USB drive, do you get an on screen message saying something like 'USB device connected' ?

Have you tried the rear USB socket ?

Dino

| Sat 19 May 2012 9:03:45 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Connect the stick to a PC and open Windows explorer. Right click on the USB icon and choose properties. Look at what filesystem it has.

Only FAT16, FAT32, EXT2 and EXT3 will work with the Foxsat. For a proper hdd you can't use EXT2. If the drive is ntfs then to use it it will need reformatting. There are some usb drives pen drives around the Foxsat doesn't like.

| Sat 19 May 2012 9:51:11 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sampaguita

Thanks to both of you, it turned out for whatever reason the STB didn't recognize the USB, I took it out, rebooted and re-inserted and it lit up, file manager found the device and the copy button was activated.

Yes the USB was formatted for FAT 32.I think I read that its better to use EXT2 or EXT3 for large files is this correct?

Do I need any specific codec to open the video file and to burn it to a DVD?

| Sat 19 May 2012 13:06:44 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

EXT FS required for files larger than 4GB, only the longest SD recordings will exceed 4GB. HD recordings are encrypted so apart from replay from usb on the box that recorded it you can't do anything with them.

SD recordings are mpeg2 transport stream files (.ts), burning them to DVD requires a simple lossless conversion to programmme stream files (.mpg).

DVDflick is a free programme that will burn DVD's, VideoredoTVsuite isn't free but it's very fast and a cinch to edit out the ads. There's a free trial version.

Windows 7 also has a free DVD creation package

To play back on a PC try vlcplayer and/or Splash Lite

| Sat 19 May 2012 13:29:42 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sampaguita

thanks again, opening the USB drive on my PC I see 3 files, the big (.ts) file and 2 smaller files (.hmt) and (.nts). What's the function of these 2 files?

| Sat 19 May 2012 15:17:46 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The .hmt contains descriptive information and the details you see when in the Guide. The .nts I think contains position ans other information. the .ts is the programme. On the HD there can also be a folder conatining the thumnails housekeeping generates.

| Sat 19 May 2012 15:24:00 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Sampaguita - 1 minute ago  » 
    thanks again, opening the USB drive on my PC I see 3 files, the big (.ts) file and 2 smaller files (.hmt) and (.nts). What's the function of these 2 files?

They are the sidecar files required by the Hdr to play back video content. Briefly the .nts contains navigation data and the .hmt details of the programme name, programme info date and time of recording etc. They don't mean a thing to a PC.

http://foxsatdisk.wikispaces.com/.nts+file+format

http://foxsatdisk.wikispaces.com/.hmt+file+format

A contributor to this forum (Raydon) wrote a clever piece of software that will create these files from your own video content so allowing the Foxsat to play your own suitable video files. Great if you have a HD Camcorder

http://myhumax.org/blog/?page_id=166

| Sat 19 May 2012 15:25:17 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.