My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Can't view photos on a usb stick

(14 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

RogerO - 1 hour ago  » 
    Two problems with slides: First they cannot be more than 3300 x 2500 pixels. Second
    I have found that the Humax does not show the slides in your original order.

What's the point in trying to display slides with more pixels than the display has. Slide show software will scale them to the display resolution of your TV ?

If you send larger the TV has to scale each individual file which slows down the speed. If you send the exact number of pixels with an aspect ratio that matches the screen 50/60 fps is easily obtainable.

The order is fixed in a .mp4 by the order you add them to the editor timeline. The box is showing a Audio/Video media file not individual jpegs. The box cannot change the order just like it can't when showing live HD TV or a netflix movie.

eg 1920 x 1080 16:9 for a full-HD TV

3840 x 2160 16:9 for a 4K TV

| Wed 14 Aug 2019 15:48:54 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I will try and post a primer in a seperate thread. It's clear that members do not recognise the fact that a movie is just like a slide show. It's a series of seperate frames assembled in a digital frame store and then instantly sent to a display with a transistor for each pixel matched to the frame store. Each pixel has 3 sub pixels. One each of red green and blue (as the on screen pixels are square the sub pixels are rectangular). Transmissions in the UK are invariably 25 frames/second.

Because of this the frame store must have a 1:1 relationship with the display.

Try the free link to the Kizoa site after organising your files into a single folder. Assuming your photos are landscape and you have Full-HD TV choose landscape 16:9 and output to .mpp4. As you have not posted what your TV can display how can anyone know what is the best format for your TV ?

Send any video information that does not have this relationship, The display has to rescale the video (scaling down is easy, scaling up is hard).

EG Good quality SD at 720 x 576 looks reasonable on a 1920 x 1080 TV with a high quality scaler, 544 x 576 is blurry vision.

Send 544 x 576 to a 4K TV it will look horrible. Decent bitrate Full-HD scaled up to 4K will be better. Get close to the screen the scaling artefacts will be very visible.

Moral is for the best possible picture send the native screen resolution to the display (Usually a TV).

The TV has to do this in real time. A PC can do this by pre-analysing the contents (usually in two passes). This allows the use of a variable bitrate. The portions of the video that have rapid video use a higher bitrate. The ones with little movement use less. A static image can be transmitted at the lowest bitrate. The higher the bitrate the larger the final file.

A slide show where one image instantly replaces the previous one can use the lowest bitrates (In movie terms a straight cut). This is the most common way of switching in a movie to the next footage.

Watch a movie carefully by far the majority when switching from one camera (or jpeg image) take to another use straight cuts. Using straight cuts you should not let a moving object cross the line of sight of the camera. If you do the moving object instantly changes direction.

There are hundreds of way's of switching from one video sequence (or the next jpeg image). Slide show software can provide lots of ways to replace one slide with another. Down to you to find the best transition.

A very common technique is to us a lap dissolve - A lap dissolve gradually replaces the pixels from the first image or video sequence with the next. Very simple to do with digital video. Much harder with film cameras, though the

In movies and slide shows this is most often used to indicate a period of elapsed time between the two shots.

Next common technique is to combine two lap dissolves to provide a linking shot.

Imagine a car chase that finishes with a close up of a car wheel, that lap dissolves into into a close up of a stagecoach wheel and then to a stagecoach travelling at high speed. You have a 21st century seamless swap to the last century.

There are countless other ways. Many of them can produce totally automated sequences and synchronise suitable music with the transitions in the video.

Try this out using the free software I linked to. Instead of boring your friends you might produce a masterpiece that impresses your friends and relations, and may even make you a you-tube star.

The media player on the 4000/5000T is rudimentary but it's really good quality given UK broadcast standard footage which after all is what the box is designed to use and the built in VP chip. Do not expect it to work well with download content from the internet especially 24Hz (24 fps) Blu-ray standard content.

Despite what others have said you will struggle to find a media player at any price that will play back 24fps content at the correct frame rate. Even my Blu-ray player which has to be 24Hz compliant will not. Symptoms are jerky motion on panning shots as the player pads the video footage with extra frames to maintain audio synch.

Netflix does a really good job (and my laptop) at presenting 24Hz content on a 50 Hz box. However on some shots you can easily see the jump. Some are more susceptible the effect than others,

None can match a blu-ray player connected to a 1080p24 capable TV video wise, and a HD audio capable AV receveir and speakers.

Audio wise Netflix comes closest to lossless-HD audio.

Simply using a file of jpeg images especially if they are greatly different to your TV native panel resolution is bound to cause issues.

Would you expect a Full-HD Tv to work with 4K video ? Equally it will not work with still images with a greater then 4K resolution. The TV and box is not designed to work with UHD.

Making them smaller is not difficult.

| Wed 14 Aug 2019 21:35:42 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

RogerO

As you say reducing the slide pixels is easy.

Slide order is important so I cannot why the Humax can play photos from usb but insists on showing them in a random order. I have tried numbering them, making the names alphabetical and adding them to a folder one at a time in order. In all cases they appear in the Humax list in its own chosen order.

I guess I could use slideshow software to make what is effectively a movie but then it becomes harder to vary speed and comments to suit the viewers.

The Humax must be using some criteria to choose the order photos are shown and if I knew this I perhaps could control the order.

Again why have a facility which basically does not work?

| Thu 15 Aug 2019 19:21:02 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

RogerO - 1 hour ago  » 
    As you say reducing the slide pixels is easy.
    Slide order is important so I cannot why the Humax can play photos from usb but insists on showing them in a random order. I have tried numbering them, making the names alphabetical and adding them to a folder one at a time in order. In all cases they appear in the Humax list in its own chosen order.
    I guess I could use slideshow software to make what is effectively a movie but then it becomes harder to vary speed and comments to suit the viewers.
    The Humax must be using some criteria to choose the order photos are shown and if I knew this I perhaps could control the order.
    Again why have a facility which basically does not work?

All the slide show software I have ever used allows full control of each slide duration and the time allocated to the whatever transition you choose to make the change from one slide to the other.

As I already said if you prepare your slides in a UK broadcast format and a matching format to your display they work fine. I have no idea what the box does to determine the order, Perhaps it's random or perhaps based on time/date in the file metadata or other. As I have no interest in using the crude playback capability because there are much superior ways to produce high quality playback of still images.

Feel free to experiment, and post your findings. If it bothered me I would look at the image metadata and try ordering the folder based on this rather than just the filename.

Guessing the order will be based on date, time the image was recorded rather than just the filename. Changing the filename does not change the stored image metadata. That would seem to be the obvious approach and the logical approach, assuming your camera has the correct date and time setup. If not the problem is down to the setup data you have applied to your particular camera (You do have the camera set to the current year date and time ? )

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-edit-picture-metadata-windows-10

https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/image-metadata

If you camera has GPS you can sort images based on where you took the photo for instance.

Guessing this is simply a lack of understanding of the additional data you create when creating a digital image.

Use the simple solution suggested you will get the images in the order you want, the best format to fit your display, the time you want to display each image, the overlap you want to accommodate the transition between individual slides and match the mood changing audio to whatever point in the video timeline you want.

More advanced software allows you to create your own transitions based on keyframe animation techniques and also add multilayer editing like masking and layer effects. Basically - it's down to your imagination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1pbVpcM9Gsyou p

I have to ask what more control could you possibly want ?

The keyframe techniques could I guess be classified as advanced, The timing is as simple as clicking on a dialogue box or simply clicking and dragging left or right and viewing the effect on your PC monitor.

| Thu 15 Aug 2019 20:49:23 #14 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.