My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Catchup doesn't work on HD channels

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Phil1

I have noticed that if I press guide then go back to catchup there aren't any available programs for channel4 HD or itv1hd. I have to press 4 or 3 to go to the SD channels to find the available programs. I have noticed that this receiver was reviewed last year online and this was said to be a firmware fault 8-9 months ago.

| Fri 29 Jul 2016 13:19:21 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

That's because only the BBC have HD catch up content. All the rest are SD only so only link to the SD epg content.

| Fri 29 Jul 2016 13:25:50 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Phil1

If you tune into a SD channel when there is a HD version of the same channel the receiver says press OK to watch in HD. So why can't you adjust the firmware so that the SD channel 4 available catchup comes up in the HD section channel 104. It doesn't matter if it plays back in HD or SD as long as the play icon is there in the HD section of the guide.

| Fri 29 Jul 2016 13:33:33 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Phil1 - 1 minute ago  » 
    If you tune into a SD channel when there is a HD version of the same channel the receiver says press OK to watch in HD. So why can't you adjust the firmware so that the SD channel 4 available catchup comes up in the HD section channel 104. It doesn't matter if it plays back in HD or SD as long as the play icon is there in the HD section of the guide.

Suspect you would have to ask Freeview or the specific broadcaster that. There is a big difference between the data transmitted on the live epg which is designed to be capable of the SD/HD link with the IP data for the catch up content. It's the same on the satellite Freetime boxes.

I don't have the box but at a guess tapping the appropriate SD channel number while in the epg (eg 3 for ITV) before pressing left will work.

| Fri 29 Jul 2016 13:39:49 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Phil1 - 10 minutes ago  » 
    So why can't you adjust the firmware so that the SD channel 4 available catchup comes up in the HD section channel 104. It doesn't matter if it plays back in HD or SD as long as the play icon is there in the HD section of the guide.

The youview boxes do what you are suggesting. Not that I would recommend a youview box.
    The FVP design decision does look a bit weird especially as the quality of catch-up will never exactly match either the SD or the HD channel even if both have HD in their name, or both don't have HD in their name.

With the recent change of BBC iPlayer HD on TVs from 1280x720 to 960x540 perhaps the catchup option not even be against the HD channel anymore. (joking, but not about the resolution as that is true)

| Fri 29 Jul 2016 14:02:37 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.