My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Change Home Transponder on Foxsat HDR

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

snoopy

With the pending change of the Freesat Home transponder from Eutelsat 28A to one of Astra 2E/2F, the current home transponder will not map across to the same transponder on Astra 2E/2F as the frequency plans on the satellites are different.

Eutelsat 28A is due to leave 28.5E in the not too distant future.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the home transponder or will it require a firmware update?

| Mon 3 Feb 2014 19:24:21 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to the forum. A very good question, I would have thought that every freesat box would need new software, maybe even the loader. Anyone have any ideas ? But why 2E or 2F ? Astra 2A is still there.

| Mon 3 Feb 2014 19:34:26 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

snoopy

A move to Astra 2A would only be temporary, already stated that the Eutelsat channels will go to 2E/2F/2G (by Eutelsat), 2G is not there yet, so depending on time scale it could go to 2G.

| Mon 3 Feb 2014 20:55:28 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

snoopy - 2 minutes ago  » 
    A move to Astra 2A would only be temporary, already stated that the Eutelsat channels will go to 2E/2F/2G (by Eutelsat), 2G is not there yet, so depending on time scale it could go to 2G.

Interesting, not only is the frequency change an issue, is the epg likely to be on a pan-European beam or a uk spot one ?

| Mon 3 Feb 2014 20:59:35 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

snoopy

Given that the Freesat Channels will in the main be on a UK spot beam, the Home transponder being on a UK spot beam would not be a problem. As it has proved the UK spot beam is receivable in a large area of Spain as well as France, Belgium and other European locations if you have an appropriate size dish. There are definite "Nulls" where reception is difficult Costa Del Sol and further south, Barcelona Area etc.

| Thu 6 Feb 2014 13:02:42 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Interesting. I've been following this thread and your same one on the Freesat forum and it appears to raise an interesting problem. Your thoughts are that this may require an updated firmware and maybe also loader? If so that suggests the update would have to take place immediately before the change of the home transponder to the new satellite . Any box that failed to update prior to the satellite change could never then update OTA, it would require a USB update. If I've got that right then Freesat/Humax should be actively pondering this and be able to update us all on their position well before it happens. Alternatively tell us it's not a problem to be concerned about.

| Thu 6 Feb 2014 13:23:16 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

snoopy

Correct, although E28A and Astra 2 can dual illuminate for a period as the frequencies are different, so the OTA should work for the majority unless they are switched off, but it does require an update.

| Thu 6 Feb 2014 13:42:39 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

snoopy

Anyone know where the home transponder details are located in the Humax Foxsat HDR, curiosity as much as anything (plus knowing where it is may help answer my query).

| Fri 7 Feb 2014 18:17:18 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.