My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Changes channels when watching a video

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

inspector

special member

Sometimes i get the warning that the channel is going to change to start a recording, but this is when I am watching a video recording, & not using any channel. Either I click NO & the recording doesn't take place, or the recording is started & my program stops playback.

| Thu 18 Feb 2021 10:56:07 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

inspector - 2 hours ago  » 
    Sometimes i get the warning that the channel is going to change to start a recording, but this is when I am watching a video recording, & not using any channel. Either I click NO & the recording doesn't take place, or the recording is started & my program stops playback.

That is very odd, it obviously thinks it doesn't have a tuner available. Next time it happens go to Signal Test and see how many tuners are reporting a signal.

| Thu 18 Feb 2021 13:52:04 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

inspector

special member

Happened tonight. -twice! 9pm. Checked afterwards (as I had forgotten your instructions) and all three tuners were working.
    Should I have checked earlier whilst the yes/no option box was onscreen?

| Thu 18 Feb 2021 22:10:29 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

inspector - 6 mins ago  » 
    Happened tonight. -twice! 9pm. Checked afterwards (as I had forgotten your instructions) and all three tuners were working.
    Should I have checked earlier whilst the yes/no option box was onscreen?

What channels were being recorded ? The box has 3 tuners. A single tuner can handle two recordings from the same Mux.

All the main HD channels are on PSB-3 available on all transmitters.

So you must have set recording reservations on 3 different mux with another not yet completed on another mux. Without a detailed picture of what you have set hard to know/ However if the recording about to finish was say in a ad break at the end. In this case selecting yes would likely get all your recordings.

Watching a recording does not use a tuner. Had you resumed playback after saying yes then it's likely you could have carried on watching from the point playback

There are 5 HD channels on PSB-3. So two tuners are enough to record 4 of them.

It's also possible to record the other by using a watch/reminder using the time shift buffer.

| Thu 18 Feb 2021 22:28:45 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

inspector

special member

it was recording on BBC1, Quest, & Sony ch33. Don't record in HD at all. Can't tell the difference, at my age!
    After clicking yes, it went straight over to the recording. There was no chance to do anything else.

Don't know what you mean about the "time shift buffer."

| Fri 19 Feb 2021 10:33:53 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

inspector - 25 mins ago  » 
    it was recording on BBC1, Quest, & Sony ch33. Don't record in HD at all. Can't tell the difference, at my age!
    After clicking yes, it went straight over to the recording. There was no chance to do anything else.
    Don't know what you mean about the "time shift buffer."

When you watch live TV the contents are streamed to an area of the Hard Disk known as the time shift buffer. This gives the capability to pause and rewind live TV.

When a new programme starts the memory pointers indicating the start of the current programme changes to start at the new programme point.

If some time after watching a new programme that you have not recorded. You press the red instant record button (red circle). The contents of the time shift buffer are copied to a new recording which will continue to the end of the programme.

You can watch this as it is being recorded (chasing playback),

Apart from the higher quality of the PSB HD channels 101 102 103 104 and 105 the fact they are carried on a single multiplex greatly reduces chances of introducing clashes arising from an overun causing a short term clash.

If you have padding set this may well be the cause of your problems. Padding stops the Freeview accurate recording system working properly.

First check this by pressing the FVP button Move to settings PVR settings - Recording Options. Make sure Start Padding Time and End Padding Time are set autoto Auto.

Try this demo which should demo how this works.

Enter 101 - enter to switch to BBC1-HD Press guide Move to 11:00 Wanted Down Under Move to Set Reminder. Click OK. Then exit from the guide.

Watch any other channel till 11:00. At 11:00 the box will switch to BBC1-HD when the broadcaster tells the box the programme has started.

Leave it for say 10 mins or so and then press the red circle.

Now press the recordings button you should see the recording at the top of the list which you can lay back like any other recording.

| Fri 19 Feb 2021 11:23:04 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

inspector

special member

Never use padding.
    AS for recording a program that I am watching, how do i just record the rest of the program? It goes back to the start, & records.

| Fri 19 Feb 2021 11:32:20 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

inspector - 7 mins ago  » 
    Never use padding.
    AS for recording a program that I am watching, how do i just record the rest of the program? It goes back to the start, & records.

Either Skip forward to the point you want to record from or change to a another channel and back to the one you want to record. Then press the rec circle. The buffer now starts where you switched back to the channel.

| Fri 19 Feb 2021 11:42:44 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.