My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Changing F/Panel Display Intensity?

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Viffergb

I'm dead chuffed with my recent purchase of the HDR-FOX T2, but the front panel display seems very dim compared to our FOXSAT HDR box!

In fact, when it's in standby in normal daylight, it's impossible to read.

I did a quick search and found a post describing how the loading of customised firmware was a solution to altering the scrolling. Is that the only possible way of being able to change intensity? If so, I'll have to put up with it, as I don't fancy 'tinkering' whilst it's only in the early stages of its warranty!

| Tue 5 Feb 2013 12:41:00 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Whilst you are not inclined to tinker during the early stages of warranty, and no one can blame you for that, there is not a lot you can do. Another solution entails the removal of a filter, but this means opening the unit up.

No point in providing a link on how to due to your comments on warranty.

| Tue 5 Feb 2013 13:02:38 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Viffergb

After posting I made my way to 'hummy.tv' and had a long hard look at what was involved in customising the software. As a result of reading the instructions on re-instating the factory supplied software for when you might want to return the box - 'Set-Return-to-manufacturer (RMA) mode' - I have taken the first step of downloading a copy of my current software and the appropriate customised version with a view to trying it sometime in the not-too-distant-future!

My main concern is if I were to try it and then have need to return the unit under warranty after re-loading the original code, will it be obvious that the software has been tinkered with, and thus invalidate the warranty!

Think I'd be more inclined to try this method as opposed to opening up the box.

| Tue 5 Feb 2013 16:59:33 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Viffergb - 1 hour ago  » 
    My main concern is if I were to try it and then have need to return the unit under warranty after re-loading the original code, will it be obvious that the software has been tinkered with, and thus invalidate the warranty!

If you use the capability provided in the custom software to remove itself, there is almost no trace left and I would think that the Humax repair department have more important things to do than to forensically examine the hard drive of every returned HDR for a trace of custom software. I also think there might be a debate about whether installing additional software invalidates the warranty but I haven't had a close read of the Humax warranty conditions recently. Certainly I can't recollect a single instance of a user reporting a declined warranty claim because of the custom software.

| Tue 5 Feb 2013 18:11:53 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Viffergb

Guess what! I went ahead took the 'bull by the horns' and loaded the customised firmware. Did so a few weeks back and wanted to make sure all was working fine before reporting back here. Best thing I did. Front panel intensity much improved, and I've installed a few of the other 'apps' including the one to hold on to 'deleted' recordings for a while before ditching them for good.

In fact, I was so pleased with the results that I went ahead and loaded the latest customised firmware on to our Foxsat-HDR, which has also been well worth doing.

I would like to take this opportunity of saying "thank you" to those concerned in producing both versions. Both are extremely useful additions to two excellent PVRs

| Tue 12 Mar 2013 17:43:10 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.