My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Choosing 1800T or 2000T

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

John D

I am thinking of replacing a 7-year-old 9200T which has become very lethargic in response and frequently hangs up. I'm looking at the HDR1800T and HDR2000T, and have two questions about the choice:

Q1: One annoyance with the 9200 was inability to transfer files to a PC. The forums had a way to enable that, but it involved opening the box and substantial engineering work. I see that the 2000T has a USB port, but the on-line manual implies that recorded programs cannot be copied out. Is that right? If so, I don't think the USB is much use to me

Q2: I read several complaints about noisy hard drives on HDR2000T. Does the 1800T (which presumably uses a different hard drive) also have this problem?

| Sat 17 Sep 2016 20:35:10 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

Only certain older modals of the 2000T I have heard have noisy hard drives.
    I have got one in the bedroom which is 18 moths old, and a friend of mine has also got one, and ours is whisper quiet and so is his.

My one is in the bed room I do record at night sometimes, and I never hear it kick in unlike my old bush PVR that used to clonk and whirl a bit on start up.

I think the only difference is just the hard drive size between the 1800T and the 2000T.

The only problem I have got with mine which I hear is common, is sometimes when its recording you don't get any sound on the HDMI output, but there is sound through the scart and RCA output from the box, which Humax as failed to fix, other than that the 2000T
    gives excellent picture quality.

I think if try any of these modals and your not happy with it, you could just return it for a refund, barring in mind most PVR'S have some bug in them these days.

| Sat 17 Sep 2016 21:38:10 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

John D - 1 hour ago  » 
    One annoyance with the 9200 was inability to transfer files to a PC. The forums had a way to enable that, but it involved opening the box and substantial engineering work.

You can transfer from the 9200 without opening the box but it isn't very fast.

I see that the 2000T has a USB port, but the on-line manual implies that recorded programs cannot be copied out. Is that right?

You can copy SD recordings to attached USB storage device and the encryption will be removed and the recordings can be played on a PC or a tablet using a suitable player eg VLC. HD recordings are more challenging but there are ways of doing it but they are outside the scope of the rules of this Forum.

Q2: I read several complaints about noisy hard drives on HDR2000T. Does the 1800T (which presumably uses a different hard drive) also have this problem?

I don't know the answer. We have a 2000T and I don't notice any noise from the hard drive but we all have different perceptions on such matters.

| Sat 17 Sep 2016 21:43:51 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Take the time to do your homework John D.

I wouldnt particularly recommend the 2000t. I have a noisy one and I have been given no guidance by Humax to reduce my concerns or help me find a quiet one. If anything Im just getting a generic reply that there shouldnt be a problem which is ultimately meaningless to me. I dont think its about perception. I have heard enough hard drives and have removed and installed a few of them....Im not daft

So mine is either noisy and faulty or its noisy and other people think that is actually quiet for a hard drive. My unit is not quiet in terms of hard drive head noise

I may keep it and soundproof it a bit.

I think you need to spend more and certainly have a good look round at the competition

| Sat 17 Sep 2016 22:21:29 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

John D - 1 hour ago  » 
    I'm looking at the HDR1800T and HDR2000T, and have two questions about the choice:
    Q1: One annoyance with the 9200 was inability to transfer files to a PC. ...

the HDR-1800T and the HDR-2000T use the same software. What you can do with one you can do with the other. Having said that the HD-1800T, which is the budget version of the HDR-2000T (which in turn is a budget version and a very mildly more modern version of the HDR-FOX T2), only has 1 USB port which can be restrictive for some.
    That sort of makes comparisons with the PVR-9300T redundant if you are just looking at the 2000T and the 1800T.

If you are happy with the 1 USB port then I would go with the 1800T. If I see a very cheap model online then I buy it online and if the HDD is noisy replace the HDD if return is not an option. And this provides an opportunity for an upgrade to a drive of my choice. If I don't see a cheap model online then I go for a high street buy but would immediately take it back if it was noisy.

Obviously I am probably not the only person who rejects noisy HDDs, and this means that those who buy refurbished models, or have Humax warranty replacements, have an increased chance of ending up with the noisy models.

| Sun 18 Sep 2016 0:55:19 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.