My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

compatible

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

gw0gvq

I have a quest re the above Humax STB and other Humax Devices . 'Why aren't they compatible with certain channels '? I telephoned Humax a few months ago to ask them why I could get 'the space' on my STB, to which the reply was , 'Humax doesn't support this. Now I have tied to tune in to 113 which is Christian + and cant receive that . I have been in touch with the company that shows this channel and they have said the same thing as HUMA said earlier in my post only with a different twist , saying, 'they aren't compatible with Humax' I telephoned Humax and they said again they have no plans for either of these two channels in the future. My question is why are they not supporting certain channels? I understand the software may not be available at certain times but both of these channels from what I've been told have been aired for more than a couple of years so I would have thought by now a company like Humax would have made the updates by now. I can see me if they do this to many more STB that I will be changing to a manufacturer that does support these

| Fri 7 Sep 2012 12:07:51 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to the Forum

You are of course posting re the IPTV channels, and this is a post I made when this was asked a while ago:

The Freeview HD units, when released, conformed to the spec as was. There is no obligation for manufacturers to put resources into changing/updating software to support later channel launches etc - in this case the IPTV channels.

and that still is the case. I have heard nothing further from Humax on this, and in all honesty did not expect to, as they are extemely busy at the moment on 2 new platforms.

| Fri 7 Sep 2012 12:17:11 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

gw0gvq

Barry - 4 hours ago  » 
    Welcome to the Forum
    You are of course posting re the IPTV channels, and this is a post I made when this was asked a while ago:
    The Freeview HD units, when released, conformed to the spec as was. There is no obligation for manufacturers to put resources into changing/updating software to support later channel launches etc - in this case the IPTV channels.
    and that still is the case. I have heard nothing further from Humax on this, and in all honesty did not expect to, as they are extemely busy at the moment on 2 new platforms.

That's fair comment but I wonder if other freeview HD STB manufactured by others support or upgrade their STB to IPTV

| Fri 7 Sep 2012 16:47:37 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

ejstubbs

...both of these channels from what I've been told have been aired for more than a couple of years

The Space soft-launched in May this year: http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/news/arts-council-news/space-goes-live/

Christian+ launched around July: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1691986

So neither has been 'aired' for anything like two years.

The original IPTV licences were issued by Ofcom to a company called Reach TV in July 2011: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1505646. Again, nothing like two years ago. More recently, the operation appears to have been acquired by Arqiva: forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1730371

Compliance with D-Book version 6.2.1 which specifies the necessary MHEG-IC capabilites only became mandatory for new device certifications in April 2011. Again, less than two years ago, and several months after the HDR T2 had originally obtained its certification.

I wonder if other freeview HD STB manufactured by others support or upgrade their STB to IPTV

A couple of the Digital Spy threads above include user reports of STBs, PVRs and IDTVs which do and don't support the IPTV services. I believe the DigitalStream PVR has had updated firmware released to support them.

According to this post on AVForums: http://www.avforums.com/forums/17581089-post456.html Humax have indicated that they intend to provide support for them later this year. I'm not sure how much faith to put in that statement (how long have they been promising to support Sky's IPTV service on the HDR T2?)

| Mon 10 Sep 2012 14:39:29 #4 |
  5. bob_dvb

bob_dvb

Humax

I'm very interested to know what level of interest there is in supporting MHEG-ICS because, as with most things, there needs to be a commercial justification for the resources to be applied.

For arguments sake if we spent £200,000 on MHEG-ICS then should we invest it in that way and sacrifice something else? Such as the budget for the TV portal? Would we see a return on our investment from increased consumer purchasing or even just customer satisfaction?

(not real numbers)

| Wed 12 Sep 2012 10:12:32 #5 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

bob_dvb - 6 minutes ago  » 
    I'm very interested to know what level of interest there is in supporting MHEG-ICS because.....

Our survey says

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/iptv-channels-not-enabled

| Wed 12 Sep 2012 10:20:57 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.