My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Connect T2 to my PC via LAN

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

TerryJones

Hi people, first day on the forum, so please play nice
    All I want to do is to look at my shared drives on my PC so I can watch downloaded movies from for example my 'H' drive.
    I can watch the movies in PowerDVD on any computer connect to my home network, seems silly to have a 42" 3D TV that cannot be used in a similar manner.
    If I go to 'Network' it comes up with my computer's name, and several others on the network, but I cannot get 'inside' the thing to individual drives, folders and files. If I click OK on "Terrys" it just sits there..... Am I really waiting for something to happen that it cannot do? (The manual on LAN is laughable )

| Sat 30 Mar 2013 19:59:20 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

TerryJones - 1 hour ago  » 
    If I go to 'Network' it comes up with my computer's name, and several others on the network, but I cannot get 'inside' the thing to individual drives, folders and files. If I click OK on "Terrys" it just sits there..... Am I really waiting for something to happen that it cannot do?

With the standard firmware you cannot look at shares. The HDR is a DLNA client and server. You can look at content on the PC providing the PC is running a DLNA server. Alternatively you could install the custom firmware which gives a much wider range of networking methods and would allow you to do what you want. By the way there is a known incompatibility between Power DVD (not sure if it only applies to certain versions) and the DLNA server in the Humax which will cause the HDR to crash shortly after coming out of standby if the DLNA server is enabled (Content Share on in the Menus).

| Sat 30 Mar 2013 21:19:12 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

TerryJones

Martin.
    Thanks for the reply, however, from the point of view of DLNA server, sad to say I have not the foggiest what you mean. All I know really is that I wanted to play stuff on my PC drive via the box to the TV. It seems this is not possible, so it looks as if I must convert them all to AVI files, then to my external hard drive and plug it into the USB on the TV.
    What is this 'Custom Firmware' that you refer to? Is it as easy to install as it was updating the firmware via USB stick? If so, from where can it be obtained.
    The reference to PowerDVD was just the playing of files from PC to monitor, via LAN, not playing via the Humax.
    Thanks.
    Terry.

| Sun 31 Mar 2013 3:33:09 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

TerryJones - 8 hours ago  » 
    from the point of view of DLNA server, sad to say I have not the foggiest what you mean.

The easiest (but probably not best) DLNA server is Windows Media Player. Try Link to setting up DLNA server

It seems this is not possible

It is possible, see above.

What is this 'Custom Firmware' that you refer to?

See Link to Custom firmware intro

Is it as easy to install as it was updating the firmware via USB stick?

Exactly the same process but you will need to do some reading to understand the capabilities.

The reference to PowerDVD was just the playing of files from PC to monitor, via LAN, not playing via the Humax.

I was trying to give you a warning that if you were ever to turn on Content Sharing on the Humax it would mysteriously start to crash; never mind.

| Sun 31 Mar 2013 10:32:22 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

TerryJones

Hi Martin.
    I can visualise you sitting there drumming your fingers in frustration as you read my comments...
    I have had this box for a couple of years actually, but the advent of a 'Bells n Lights 3D TV" last week as an anniversary present prompted me to 'experiment' with it.
    As a 73 year old wrinkly I have loads of time to 'play' so I have over the year downloaded all of our favourite TV series, like for example all 8 series of 'Bones' from Usenet. We normally watch via the large monitor my wife has (Due to failing eyesight)so the fact that 90% are MKV makes no difference to anything, PowerDVD 12 just sits there and plays it.
    I have now found out that the Humax is not impressed with one of the most common download formats, needing to be converted to play via the USB input, and I have no reason to expect this problem will go away if I can access the files directly on my PC.
    The final decision is therefor to leave the Humax as it is, a HD Feeview box, into the new TV and we carry on as normal watching my PC files on Patsy's 30" monitor.
    It is sad to think that there is a potentially powerful box lurking under my TV stand that, with a rethink of the firmware, could be as good LAN wise as the PS3, with which I can even browse the web, not just predetermined Iplayers.
    I will take this opportunity to thank you for you kind and basically helpful responses to the original post. I'm sure other posters will benefit from your apparent knowledge of the Humax.

| Sun 31 Mar 2013 15:19:34 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

trog

Why cant you just connect your PC straight to the TV.

| Sun 31 Mar 2013 16:10:21 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

trog

Why cant you just connect your PC straight to the TV.

| Sun 31 Mar 2013 16:12:00 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

TerryJones

Trog
    Because that would require a very long cable, and my PC has no HDMI out anyway. I would have to use a VGA cable and separate audio leads. They would also have to be long enough to run round the walls, with a 94 year old Mother-in-Law no cables could be across the floor.
    The LAN cable already runs all round the lounge for the PlayStation.
    (Seems the new TV does not like MKV files either. Snookered all round)

| Sun 31 Mar 2013 18:28:18 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

trog

If you dont mind spending a little cash you can get from Maplins
    quite cheaply an external hard drive with a built in media player and then can simply plug it into your TV or PC with the bonus of having extra storage.

| Tue 2 Apr 2013 2:08:14 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

TerryJones

The problem has been solved, typically by a 15 year old
    He did one download to the PC and the PS3 does everything I want. It will even play back my MKV files to the TV.
    It seems that even the TV does not like these MKV files, so my 'Walkabout External Terabyte' is no use as you suggested Trog, without the time and effort of converting to avi or Mpeg but the PlayStation just burbles away happily with everything.
    Thanks to everyone who took time out to respond anyway.
    Terry

| Tue 2 Apr 2013 14:35:12 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.