My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Cooling Fan when does it come on ?

(5 posts)
  1. tellboy

tellboy

I have had the inevitable hard drive failure after almost 3 years and temporarily fitted an ordinary computer hard drive just to make sure it was that. It is working again and I have ordered a correct pipeline Seagate 1Tb hard drive to repair it correctly.
    My question is about the cooling fan which I understamd does not spin up until it is needed.
    Is this assumption correct and under what circumstances will it start up .
    Recording two programs and playing back another doesnt doesnt seem to need the fan but the drive is fairly warm. measured as varying between 39 to 43 degrees in contact with the hard drive case.
    How would I check the fan ? Thank You.

| Wed 9 Dec 2015 15:45:27 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

tellboy - 1 hour ago  » 
    My question is about the cooling fan which I understamd does not spin up until it is needed.
    Is this assumption correct and under what circumstances will it start up .

If the DTR is like other Humax boxes then the fan will spin when the hard drive temperature passes a threshold value (in the region of 50 C).

Recording two programs and playing back another doesnt seem to need the fan but the drive is fairly warm. measured as varying between 39 to 43 degrees in contact with the hard drive case.

Those temperature are perfectly acceptable; the Seagate drives I am familiar with have a SMART failure attribute at 55 C.

How would I check the fan ? Thank You.

If you can get the box hot enough then a small strip of paper near the fan outlet will tell you if there is air flow.

| Wed 9 Dec 2015 17:03:11 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

tellboy - 3 hours ago  » 
    Recording two programs and playing back another ... doesnt seem to need the fan but the drive is fairly warm.

You can tax it more than that.

Ensure that the two recordings being made are HD, then watch a third HD channel in chase play by first pausing it then press play. That way you are in effect recording 3 HD channels and playing back another. I'd allow as much as 40 minutes.

Also, if more than one HD multiplex is available in your area, use different HD multiplexes for the recordings.

| Wed 9 Dec 2015 18:59:55 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I believe the chipset is designed to record up to 5 programmes simultaneously on most Humax cit.

| Wed 9 Dec 2015 19:08:49 #4 |
  5. tellboy

tellboy

Thank you for all the replies. I am reassured and will fit the new drive. I guessed the fan didn't come on very often as after nearly 3 years there was no sign of dust on the external grill which there always was on early Humax models.

| Wed 9 Dec 2015 20:10:32 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.