My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Copy to USB : output is sound only

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldie71

I've just tried, for the first time, copying recorded programmes to a USB stick. Both were SD. The copying operation seemed to go without a hitch.

For each programme, I have 4 files on the USB stick, with approximate sizes:

Programme details.hmt 13KB
    .nts 4MB
    .thm 43KB
    .ts 2GB

The .thm is described as "openoffice.org configuration file.

Putting the USB stick in my laptop:

The first three files offer no software to open them. The .ts file offers two programs:

Video (windows 8.1 app) : this reports "Can't open"

Windows Media Player : plays in sound only, no vision.

(As it happens, programmes are Neil Diamond and Queen, but I doubt that's relevant).

Am I doing something wrong, or is the fault with the Humax or my laptop?

Maybe I should add that at the time of copying the files, I was also recording a (different) programme. Could this have affected the operation?

| Mon 17 Nov 2014 15:59:55 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The .thm is the small graphic thumbnail image.

The .nts is the file used by the box to give you the fancy navigation features and the .hmt has data like the name of the recording, the time date and channel it was recorded from and the programme synopses (the info you see when using the info button).

The .ts (transport stream) file has the audio and video.

It's likely to be a missing video codec issue on your PC.

Try downloading the free Splash Lite media player from Myrillis or VLC. Installing either should add the codec required to play back the mpeg2 transport stream file.

| Mon 17 Nov 2014 16:11:41 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldie71

Thanks graham

I decided to try updating WMP, rather than adding another media player (though I have read good reports of VLC).

After googling, I downloaded and installed a package called K-Lite Codec Pack 1085. And success - both videos played, though one did stutter slightly at the beginning.

| Mon 17 Nov 2014 19:02:15 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

oldie71 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks graham
    I decided to try updating WMP, rather than adding another media player (though I have read good reports of VLC).
    After googling, I downloaded and installed a package called K-Lite Codec Pack 1085. And success - both videos played, though one did stutter slightly at the beginning.

Result

Incidentally the paid for options of Splash provide smooth playback of HD on even low powered platforms. They should eat SD.

https://mirillis.com/en/products/splashexport.html

| Mon 17 Nov 2014 20:50:54 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.