My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Copying to external hard drive (Toshiba)

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickb37

My HDR Fox T2 became full. I was able to copy files to a Freecom 400GB external hard drive by USB without trouble but that became full. So I bought a 4TB Toshiba HDWC240EK3J1 4TB Stor.e Canvio USB 3.0 3.5 Inch External Hard Drive. That works on my Windows 8 laptop but not on the Humax. How do I fix this? Is the problem that I bought a Toshiba (rather than a Seagate say? Or is 4TB too big? or what?

| Sat 11 Oct 2014 18:42:27 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to the forum. At a guess it's because the new drive is formatted NTFS. The vanilla HDR FOX T2 can read NTFS but not write to it. The Custom firmware amongst other things adds the capability to write to NTFS.

| Sat 11 Oct 2014 20:33:49 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickb37

Thank you Graham. It doesn't say NTFS anywhere but it does say that use with Mac requires reformatting. So next question is how do I find the custom firmware to add the capability to write to NTFS?

| Sat 11 Oct 2014 21:44:37 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

nickb37 - 13 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you Graham. It doesn't say NTFS anywhere but it does say that use with Mac requires reformatting. So next question is how do I find the custom firmware to add the capability to write to NTFS?

http://hummy.tv/forum/forums/hd-hdr-fox-t2-customised-firmware.28/

| Sat 11 Oct 2014 21:58:40 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickb37

Another thing: Are Seagate models NTFS? Again nothing on the sales blurb to say one way or the other. They were the same price and I went for the Brand I'd heard of.

| Sat 11 Oct 2014 21:59:19 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 37 seconds ago  » 

nickb37 - 13 minutes ago  » 

Windows 8 is tad confusing to us oldies used to the traditional windows UI up to version 7. However if you can find Windows Explorer and right click on the file and choose properties it should tell you the file system used on the disk.

The site that hosts the CF for the HDR FOX T2 is

http://hummy.tv/forum/forums/hd-hdr-fox-t2-customised-firmware.28/

| Sat 11 Oct 2014 22:05:01 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

nickb37 - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Another thing: Are Seagate models NTFS? Again nothing on the sales blurb to say one way or the other. They were the same price and I went for the Brand I'd heard of.

Large disks (irrespective of make) normally these days use NTFS for the File System simply because it's the most common one used to support large files over 4GB in size. (4GB would be exceeded by most HD movies).

It's not a brand issue at all.

FAT32 is very inefficient for large drives, and in fact Windows will not format large drives FAT32 without using a downloaded FAT32 formatting utility) The latest freetime Humax satellite pvrs do now use NTFS for external drives.

| Sat 11 Oct 2014 22:18:50 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.