My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Custom firmware (2)

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan White

I'll continue my thread here as the previous one seems to have been hijacked and is now too confusing.

Alan White - 7 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately I can't get past step 2. When I insert the stick and bring the box out of standby with the button pressed nothing happens except that BBC1 flashes up and then the box goes back into standby.
    I note the suggestion to use a low-capacity USB stick (and Humax's recommendation to use one under 1Gb in size - heaven knows what century they're in). Perhaps that's the problem though why the size should matter I don't know. The only USB stick I have is 32Gb. I think my son has an ancient 1Gb stick: I'll ask him when he comes in and try again with that.

I tried again with my son's 2Gb stick and that worked fine. Obviously I need to buy a smaller USB stick - if they're still available!

Now I can see the EPG, schedule, recordings, etc which is good but what next? I guess I need to install some applications but which?

| Fri 31 Aug 2012 23:22:26 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You need to read the documentation but the amswer does depend on what you want to achieve and what other equipment you have.

| Sat 1 Sep 2012 8:14:43 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan White

REPASSAC - 1 hour ago  » 
    You need to read the documentation

Oh I have, but I understand very little of it: it's all very technical and seems to be aimed at people who already know what's involved and therefore don't actually need the documentation :D.

It's difficult to say what I want to achieve because that will depend on what the software is capable of. I think the thing I'm most missing is to play the recordings on a PC elsewhere on the network. I can see the list or recordings but there doesn't seem to be an option to play them?

| Sat 1 Sep 2012 9:58:37 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You can make a network share abailable on the Foxsat using samba so that you PC can see the recordings on the Foxsat's disk. Windows Media player or the VLC player can then play them (SD recordings, not most HD recodings).

If you install VLC on your PC it will, by default, install an activex control which will enable SD recordings to be played in internet explorer. (You need to click on a SD recording)

The documentation does assume basic PC skills and also some searching for terms, for example describing what ftp does is better left to wikipedia. There is an assumtion if, for example, you do not know what DLNA is there is a good change you do not need it.

| Sat 1 Sep 2012 10:51:04 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan White

I think I have this now. I found mention of a VLC player plug in which would add a play button. I installed that and the play button appeared but files still wouldn't play, complaining about a missing plugin but then not finding it.

Further digging found that I needed some more software - VLC media player. I installed that and can now play recordings on the Foxsat on my PC :D.

Surely things aren't intended to be this difficult?

I have two remaining questions:
    1. Is it possible to see the recordings as a list in a similar way as it appears on the Foxsat with date/time/length etc, rather than as a raw filename? And in the same order? (I don't actually like the Foxsat's reverse sort but I do like consistency.)
    2. While playing a recording the progress bar is blank. Is that a known problem?

| Sat 1 Sep 2012 10:51:10 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The VLC player is one of several methods of doing the same thing.

1. Yes via the web interface - You may have to click on the title to see more details. As to sort order - the Web interface does not know what setting you have set to display the items - I use date order (opt+, I seem to remember, is the way to change the Foxsat settings).

2. Yes the VLC activx control does not seeem to support it. The VLC main program does support it and much more when playing from a network share.

| Sat 1 Sep 2012 10:59:09 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan White

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the Foxsat sort order doesn't have date/time ascending as an option. That seems to me to be the most logical sort because I'll want to watch programmes in the order they were recorded. The web interface is much better because the recordings are sorted in date/time ascending.

Yes, the blank progress bar seems to be a bug in the plugin. As you say, it works fine if I download the file and play it in VLC itself.

| Sat 1 Sep 2012 11:19:36 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Pressing the 'List' button changes the sort order on the HDR. I seem to remember that date/time is one of the options.

| Sat 1 Sep 2012 14:18:32 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan White

dino - 24 minutes ago  » 
    Pressing the 'List' button changes the sort order on the HDR. I seem to remember that date/time is one of the options.

Indeed it is. But (unlike on the 9300) there's no asc/desc option. If you sort by alpha then it's sorted asc, which makes sense; but if you sort by date/time it's sorted desc, which doesn't :-).

| Sat 1 Sep 2012 14:46:28 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I thought that that there was a way it could be reversed - will check later. Think pressing something flipped it ascending / decending.

| Sat 1 Sep 2012 15:18:12 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.