My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Custom firmware (2)

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan White

Alan White - 4 days ago  » 
    I tried again with my son's 2Gb stick and that worked fine. Obviously I need to buy a smaller USB stick - if they're still available!

I've now purchased a 2Gb stick and I'd like to confirm that it works (before my son takes the stick I know works to uni).

What's the best way of doing this? Should I use the new stick to reinstall the custom firmware? Or to reinstall the Humax firmware?

What will happen to the customisations I've made to the custom firmware? Is there a way of preserving those or do I have to repeat them?

| Wed 5 Sep 2012 11:33:33 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

No point in istalling the Humax firmware, custom firmware 4.0.8 will also install the latest Humax firmware. Your customisations should be intact, mine were when I upgraded 4.0.7 to 4.0.8

| Wed 5 Sep 2012 11:57:47 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan White

Well, that was a puzzling hour or so

The Foxsat didn't recognise the new 2Gb stick. The stick is a SanDisk and was already formatted as FAT32 and with SanDisk's software on it. I copied the software to my PC and reformatted the stick as FAT (because my son's stick, which had worked to install the custom firmware, was FAT). The Foxsat now recognised the stick and happily re-installed the custom firmware (maintaining all my customisations).

I then reformatted as FAT32 and once again the Foxsat happily re-installed the custom firmware. I now suspected that the Foxsat didn't like there being other files on the stick so I copied SanDisk's files back and yet again the Foxsat happily re-installed the custom firmware.

So, as far as files are concerned, the stick is the same as it was when I took it out of the packaging. My conclusion - which it's too late to prove - is that there was something on the pre-formatted stick which the Foxsat didn't like.

As an experiment, I tried again with the 32Gb stick I'd first tried and which hadn't worked. I reformatted it (as FAT32, which it already was) but the Foxsat still didn't recognise it.

I now see why there's so much discussion about sticks not working. I conclude that the Foxsat doesn't like large sticks (which, these days, is most of them) and it's fussy about some aspects of the formatting. I think I prefer the serial method used by the 9300

| Wed 5 Sep 2012 14:22:13 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I now re-format a stick every time before copying a single .hdf file to it, having had similar experiences. This seems to work everytime with both a HD FOX T2 and a Foxsat-HDR

| Wed 5 Sep 2012 14:29:35 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

dandnsmith

I think it is a question of what the other files on the stick are there for. I have one stick which presents itself to a windows system as 2 'drives' - that one won't work.
    Several others I have used with all sorts of files and folders give no such trouble - I therefore suspect any 'security' or added features software on a stick as likely to give trouble.
    Derek

| Wed 5 Sep 2012 16:34:39 #15 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.