My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Deleted a file I desperately need to keep

(22 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

grant_whittaker

Thanks for all the help everyone.

The good news is that on youtube someone had posted the card AFTER hers....

We managed to contact them, and they still had the original file which included the card in question!!!!

Brilliant.

However for future I would like to lock it so I can't accidentally delete it. I have tried the "lock" function - however the "delete" option is still available, and I don't want to risk clicking it to see if it wants a password BEFORE it deletes it in case it doesn't!!

I would in future want to copy any similar file to a external hard disk - but I am tearing my hair out as it has the option to "Move/Copy" but won't let me copy it anywhere!!! This is a really stupid operating system - not logical at all.

| Sun 6 Apr 2014 19:49:30 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

grant_whittaker

I do have another recording I want to do this with - it won't let me copy the file (or move it) to an external hard disk.

| Sun 6 Apr 2014 19:55:03 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You first need to identify a destination and a destination folder on a usb connected disk before the copy option becomes available.

Unlike a copy option in windows which asks where you want to copy it to, the logic in Linux is destination first, then source.

If you still have problems I will copy a file to a usb disk tomorrow and post the steps required.

| Sun 6 Apr 2014 20:06:46 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

The good news is that on youtube someone had posted the card AFTER hers....

We managed to contact them, and they still had the original file which included the card in question!!!!

Brilliant.

Cool!

| Sun 6 Apr 2014 20:51:40 #14 |
  5. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

I recommend the custom firmware with undelete installed: this gives you a recycle bin to retrieve any accidentally deleted files. You could also copy to a USB drive as a back up.

If you can play the YouTube clip with the Humax using the app, with custom firmware you can save a copy of the file.

| Sun 6 Apr 2014 21:15:29 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

grant_whittaker

So I select WHERE to copy the file, select copy, and then select the file to move last??

Ok, totally counter-intuative to me but I'll try it.

Thanks

| Mon 7 Apr 2014 15:54:40 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grant_whittaker - 25 minutes ago  » 
    So I select WHERE to copy the file, select copy, and then select the file to move last??
    Ok, totally counter-intuative to me but I'll try it.
    Thanks

Step By Step It's been a while I always copy directly to a PC using ftp (much more convenient).

Locate a file you want to copy, red to select (You can select more than one in same folder)

opt+

Move/Copy

Select your usb device and press OK. Either move to a existing folder or create a new one (opt+) and select it.

The red copy button should now be active. (I don't think you can copy to the drive root folder, it has to be a subfolder you created earlier or at the last step))

| Mon 7 Apr 2014 16:32:39 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

grant_whittaker

This isn't working at all for me.

I can select the file and the copy button goes red, I press it and it says "file selected for copy."

That's it then. No matter what I do, nothing happens on the ext drive - I can't for the life of me create a new file. I can't move the file selected to the ext drive or copy it.

So from above....

Move/Copy

Select your usb device and press OK. Either move to a existing folder or create a new one (opt+) and select it. Nope - can't create a new folder - won't let me

The red copy button should now be active. (I don't think you can copy to the drive root folder, it has to be a subfolder you created earlier or at the last step))Nope - again, won't do it at all - getting really p155ed off with this..

| Wed 9 Apr 2014 23:44:14 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

grant_whittaker

I can create a new folder on the computer on this drive and the Humax will see it - but can't create one using the Humax at all.

Is my machine faulty?

| Wed 9 Apr 2014 23:46:27 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grant_whittaker - 32 minutes ago  » 
    I can create a new folder on the computer on this drive and the Humax will see it - but can't create one using the Humax at all.

Is the drive formatted NTFS by any chance? The Humax will read from it but not write to it.

| Thu 10 Apr 2014 0:19:21 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.