My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Denon AVR: Using alternate audio input?

(9 posts)
  1. gomezz

gomezz

special member

My twenty year old AVR is starting to fail and is currently limping along in 4.1 analogue stereo mode (centre channel amp gone awol) so I am looking to replace it with a modern AVR.

Considering the Denon 2700 but one feature I want to check on. I sometimes want to use a different audio source to the video source, most commonly when listening to the TMS commentary while watching the cricket.

Looking at the manual for this AVR it seems I could connect the optical audio output from the PVR used to chase-play TMS (as it needs to be delayed by 20 seconds or so to sync with the video) to the optical audio input on the AVR that would normally be used to feed audio from a non-ARC TV. Then use the TV Audio button on the remote control to select this audio source rather than the one on whichever HDMI input on the AVR is currently selected.

Have I got this right? Is there anyone with a modern Denon amp who can confirm if this is doable or not? It wouldn't half simplify the nest of wiring I have behind my TV at the moment.

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 11:33:06 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

This is from the manual for my Denon X7200-WA

I read this as needing to connect the alternate audio source to a bluetooth transmitter (or assign the hdmi in labelled CD to your video source). . Richer Sounds should be able to confirm which models have the capability.

I use the CD HDMI in for a 4K chromecast).

Attachments

1. Play_back_different_audio.jpg (133 KB, 4 downloads) 3 years old
    | Sat 2 Jan 2021 11:59:00 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Think you are out of luck. All the manuals can be downloaded in PDF format from Denon Support

Attachments

1. X2700_Video_Select.jpg (143.5 KB, 2 downloads) 3 years old
    | Sat 2 Jan 2021 12:19:39 #3 |
  4. gomezz

gomezz

special member

That looks like another way of doing what I want to do by using the CD analogue input to feed from the alternate audio source's analogue output. But not sure if Video Select is available on the 2700 after having already studied its manual at length. But will have another look.

Edit: The 2700 does have Video Select but not sure what it means by

"This cannot be set when any of the HDMI, component video or video connectors are assigned."

What does assigned mean in this context?

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 12:28:25 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gomezz - 28 mins ago  » 
    That looks like another way of doing what I want to do by using the CD analogue input to feed from the alternate audio source's analogue output. But not sure if Video Select is available on the 2700 after having already studied its manual at length. But will have another look.
    Edit: The 2700 does have Video Select but not sure what it means by
    "This cannot be set when any of the HDMI, component video or video connectors are assigned."
    What does assigned mean in this context?

Denon AVRS come with pre-labelled and number HDMI inputs and a input assignment table.

Additionally you can change the name shown on the front panel to the name of the actual source kit using the input rename option.
    You can do this using the single HDMI cable to the TV which overlays the picture by pressing setup on the Denon Remote (this also includes a audio delay option to correct lip synch - not of course large enough for what you want to do

As you can see there are 7 rear HDMI Inputs plus one on the front of the AVR. The CD input is HDMI 7. So I have changed the name assigned from CD to 4K Firestick.

If you have a decent CD player with a quality DAC. You would connect it to the rear panel RED/White RCA Phono inputs labelled CD. By default that will display CD on the front panel unless you change the name.

Attachments

1. Default_Assignments.jpg (89.5 KB, 0 downloads) 3 years old
    2. Back_panel.jpg (252.7 KB, 4 downloads) 3 years old
    | Sat 2 Jan 2021 13:06:55 #5 |
  6. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Does this mean I can use the same physical HDMI socket set up as two inputs? One using the HDMI audio itself and one using an alternate audio feed such as Optical or Analogue? The manual does not really explain this in any detail but makes it sound as if this is one way of reading what it says.

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 13:49:08 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gomezz - 45 mins ago  » 
    Does this mean I can use the same physical HDMI socket set up as two inputs? One using the HDMI audio itself and one using an alternate audio feed such as Optical or Analogue? The manual does not really explain this in any detail but makes it sound as if this is one way of reading what it says.

Yes but you would have to change the audio input assigned to the HDMI socket in
    assign inputs to whatever input socket you have connected the external source to. Not clear what choices you have for the audio source. Assuming you can use analogue stereo line level outputs it should work OK. On my AVR toslink without a converter is not an option (no toslink input only outputs).

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 14:40:22 #7 |
  8. gomezz

gomezz

special member

That sounds promising. Just got to hope my old AVR hangs in there until the 2700 comes back in stock at the end of the month (B* and C* permitting shipment).

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 16:47:11 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gomezz - 1 hour ago  » 
    That sounds promising. Just got to hope my old AVR hangs in there until the 2700 comes back in stock at the end of the month (B* and C* permitting shipment).

Intrigued to know how you get on. My last Denon basically retired due to similar issues had the capability. I never really found a use for it. Though I did play with the option that did not need to change the settings.

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 18:09:05 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.