My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

DNS when using DHCP

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Goose

Just installed the SAMBA component of Raydon’s Media and File Server Bundle (Release 3c). Works great. Thanks to all involved.

The Foxsat HDR is currently getting its IP addresses using DHCP from a 2wire router. All seems normal except the DNS address of 64.72.152.0. This resolves to somewhere in Indianapolis.

My netbook also uses DHCP from the same router and gets 192.168.0.1 as the DNS

Anyone else see this.

| Sun 22 May 2011 10:18:08 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

192.168.0.1 points to your router - which will pass the requests to the addresses set for it or aquired from your ISP. See what DNS your router is using (Normally shown in something like 'Status'). It is normal to use multiple DNS servers (up to 4, of which usually the last one is on a different network usually abroad - but only the first two of these are normally passed by DHCP).

Open a command prompt [Run cmd.exe] and enter ping FOXSAT-HDR and post the results. [If the address resolves to anything outside the 192.168.0 network you have a domain search suffix set.

| Sun 22 May 2011 14:39:56 #2 |
  3. super-admin

super-admin

senior admin

I would recommend setting the FOXSAT-HDR a static IP address. You can manually stick in the router's IP for the DNS resolver, and for each time the router or HDR is reset it has the same IP so you won't need to remap.

| Sun 22 May 2011 15:08:19 #3 |
  4. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

I would recommend setting the FOXSAT-HDR a static IP address. You can manually stick in the router's IP for the DNS resolver, and for each time the router or HDR is reset it has the same IP so you won't need to remap.

| Sun 22 May 2011 15:09:12 #3 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Goose

It was always my intention to use a static IP once I found that SAMBA worked. I was just intrigued about where this DNS IP came from. When I went back to configure my chosen static IP, netmask, gateway and DNS, the DHCP IP had changed to 240.20.80.0. Weird.

| Sun 22 May 2011 15:43:41 #4 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I assume that is your ISP's DNS ?
    If you setup a static address either make an address reservation on your router or allocate an addrees outside of your routers DHCP address pool.

| Sun 22 May 2011 18:24:45 #5 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Goose

REPASSAC - 3 hours ago  » 
    I assume that is your ISP's DNS ?

No, neither of the IPs I quoted are related to my ISP. I have since entered the static IPs that I want and the mystery will remain unsolved!

| Sun 22 May 2011 21:36:55 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.