My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Do I need a wifi extender

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

inspector - 26 mins ago  » 
    Faust, I only get -39dBm in the small bedroom where the Virgin equipment is.
    Do you think that Virgin could help with this signal?

In my experience -39dBm should be just fine.

| Thu 18 Feb 2021 12:48:20 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

inspector

special member

But the -39dBm is in a bedroom where wifi is not used. It is about -70dBm anywhere else. Could the Virgin Equipment be faulty? Is -39dBm in the same small room a normal strength?

| Thu 18 Feb 2021 13:08:08 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

inspector - 1 hour ago  » 
    But the -39dBm is in a bedroom where wifi is not used. It is about -70dBm anywhere else. Could the Virgin Equipment be faulty?

I don't think it indicates that the Virgin equipment is faulty but it is likely that different equipment could work better.

Is -39dBm in the same small room a normal strength?

How close is the small room to the router?

| Thu 18 Feb 2021 14:51:25 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

inspector - 20 hours ago  » 
    But the -39dBm is in a bedroom where wifi is not used. It is about -70dBm anywhere else. Could the Virgin Equipment be faulty? Is -39dBm in the same small room a normal strength?

It's not about the equipment being faulty it's about poor Wifi connectivity in your property, usually walls are the issue but things like fridge/freezers, microwave ovens central heating systems all play a part in Wifi interference. Mesh Wifi is the future for modern Wifi connected homes, though do your research before buying into one. For example Google nest Wifi requires that your router is placed into Bridge Mode in order to avoid Double NAT issues, most UK supplied ISP routers cannot be put into Bridge Mode, your Virgin router being one of the few exceptions. I myself use BT Wholehome which works with any router and does not need placing into Bridge Mode and gets very positive reviews

| Fri 19 Feb 2021 10:09:41 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

inspector - 21 hours ago  » 

Can you check the pvr and router are both on the same ring main ? ie. One circuit breaker or fuse turns of both the router and the pvr.

| Fri 19 Feb 2021 10:49:57 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

inspector

special member

Yes, all sockets except extension & utility on that one fuse.

| Fri 19 Feb 2021 10:56:50 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

inspector - 42 secs ago  » 
    Yes, all sockets except extension & utility on that one fuse.

A pair of these connects a 16 way gigabit network switch in my kit rack to the router network switch. So everything is hard wired. If you only have issues with the pvr you just need the kit.

They run at about 300mbps which is faster than my ISP download speed.

https://www.box.co.uk/TL-PA4010P-KIT-V2.20-TP-Link-Passthrough-Powerline-600-Starte_1954528.html

| Fri 19 Feb 2021 11:03:04 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I currently have six of those redundant back in their boxes. I had no further use for them once we had the house fitted with CAT 6 jacks last year. I keep meaning to drop them off down at the British Heart Foundation.

| Fri 19 Feb 2021 14:23:36 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

inspector

special member

Virgin Media have supplied the Hub 4 router, but it was just the same wifi as before. I saw an article in a computer magazine, about using a cut-down beer can to reflect the signal.
    As a result, I can now stream Humax programs to the bedroom!

| Sun 9 May 2021 11:46:07 #19 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.