My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Do subtitles work properly on the FVP-5000T

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

On the HRD-FOX T2 and on the HDR-1800/2000T subtitles have a tendency to get out of synch with the video/audio (in my experience performance on BBC channels is generally acceptable but ITV channels are particularly prone to the subtitles getting ahead of the video/audio). I am told the Youview boxes are much better in this respect. Does the FVP-5000T make a decent job of displaying subtitles on all channels?

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 11:27:16 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi Martin - Don't normally use subtitles, just playing last Fridays Tipping Point ITV-HD . So far only about 2 minutes in but spot on, will report after ad skipping etc.

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 11:54:26 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Hi Martin,

I use subtitles a fair bit - a couple of comments.

Firstly I use a pair of Microlab speakers in place of what others would use a sound bar. Due to an early career in the music industry I have lost some of my upper range hearing which the speakers help with. The good news is that I think the 5000t is producing much better quality sound than all of my Youview boxes and I have oretty much one of each of the Hummy and Huwy Youview boxes. I am using subtitles slightly less with the 5000t than with Youview, if hearing clearly is your issue.

There doesn't appear to be any lag problems with the 5000t for subtitles, but switching it on and off has been hit and miss in that sometimes I have subtitles but the subtitles switch says it is off and trying to toggle between on and off has been hit and miss.

Hope this helps ........

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 12:11:20 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

So far skipped 3 ad breaks and subtitles are still OK.

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 12:29:15 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 45 minutes ago  » 
    Don't normally use subtitles, just playing last Fridays Tipping Point ITV-HD . So far only about 2 minutes in but spot on, will report after ad skipping etc.

Graham thanks for investigating. What I see on ITV is that they start off in synch and then gradually (it may of course be a jump that I don't notice) start to get ahead of the action; often the section after the last advert performs better than the rest of the program. Interested in what you find over a longer trial.

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 12:42:47 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Programme completed and subs stayed in synch. Requires two pushes of Sub button to turn of Subs.

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 12:43:29 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

uk1 - 31 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the response. Due to an early career in the music industry I have lost some of my upper range hearing which the speakers help with.

I have also lost upper range hearing; the only likely cause is spending too much time sitting in rally cars with screaming engines in my youth.

There doesn't appear to be any lag problems with the 5000t for subtitles

Can I just confirm your use of the word "lag". What I (and I think others) see is subtitles getting in advance of the action rather than lagging behind: I assume you are saying that subtitles stay in synch with the action across a range of channels?

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 12:47:15 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Martin, I have seen neither the subtitles so far being before or after the lips!

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 12:51:29 #8 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Whilst I do not need/use subtitles it is one of the things I check regularly across a range of channels both SD and HD...never to date found a problem with sync.

The only issues I have found to date is:

1. Enabling/disabling using the subtitle button sometimes needs 2 presses of subtitle button, as others have mentioned.

2. Once enabled they may take a few seconds to appear, dependant on which channel being viewed.

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 12:53:10 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

BlackGhost

special member

I get the subs come on without pressing the button quite often (on the 4000), usually when switching inputs.

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 19:12:34 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.