My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Does HDR keep LNB power on in standby mode?

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Hello everyone.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice please. Some general and some specific to the HDR.

Last winter I noticed my Foxsat HDR wasn't properly populating the EPG.

After a bit of digging around using the excellent information found here (and at other forums), I grasped that the HDR was reporting that while the signal quality on most channels was reported as 80% or more, some channels were < 50%.

One of the low quality signals was 11427H (Freesat Info).

So far, this sounds like an alignment issue, but I also noticed that as I was looking into it, the signal quality on 11427H would gradually climb.

Once it was up to about 60%, I could populate the EPG using the guide button and waiting the usual 40 odd seconds. If I tried pressing guide too early, the scan would appear to complete immediately and not do anything.

Depending on how cold it was to begin with, it could take up to 25 minutes to get enough quality on the EPG channel. By the time I'd worked out what was going on, the weather had warmed up. Now it has turned cold again, the condition is back and I'd like to do a bit more to sort it out.

From what I've read, the most likely issues are the dish alignment
    or an unstable LNB.

At the moment, I'm tending towards the second option and I've ordered a replacement LNB, but I'm wondering if there are other possible causes I've not considered ?

Given that it seems to fix itself when the HDR has been out of standby for a while, is it still a possible alignment issue?

If I get a proper list of the low quality channels, is it possible to determine what change to the skew etc might help ?

Now the specific HDR query.

So far I've assumed the Foxsat doesn't keep the LNB powered up during standby. Does anyone know if this is the case ?

Is there an option to tell the HDR to maintain power to the LNB ?

Thanks for reading and in advance for any advice.

Dino

| Mon 12 Dec 2011 11:33:34 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Welcome

The lnb is not powered when in sby but I don't think that's the problem. A poster with a hdr in a conservatory reports when the temperature falls to specific temperature (I forget what it is) then the hdr won't boot until the room warms up. Sounds similar to your experience.

List of channels by transponder here

http://humaxgoodies.weebly.com/freesat-channels-by-transponder.html

| Mon 12 Dec 2011 11:56:10 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Thanks for the welcome and the response. I'd read that report of the Humax failing to start. Like you I don't recall the details but I think it was falling below the stated rating of the device.

In my case, the HDR is in the living room. It doesn't get (too) cold and boots normally every time. Similarly, most channels are fine all the time.

The problem is specifically with a few channels (including the EPG) showing low signal quality - but only when the outside temperature is cold and the HDR is first powered up.

I'll have a look to see if I can spot a pattern as to which channels have the symptoms but at the moment, the dish is in full sun and all channels are good even when the HDR is first switched on.

Earlier this morning before the sun was out, some channels initially showed low signal quality, but after half an hour or so they were up to 80%.

Thanks for confirming the LNB is powered off when the HDR is in standby mode. I don't think my problem is related to the Humax, but I read somewhere that some receivers have an option to keep power up to the LNB when in standby specifically to avoid temperature dips and I was hoping the Foxsat could, perhaps from a maintenance menu.

Thanks again,

Dino

| Mon 12 Dec 2011 14:30:37 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

My lnb is totally unaffected by the outside temperature. Could it perhaps be on the way out ?. Had perfect reception all last winter with the external overnight temperature around -15C and the same during the day on Boxing Day. No difference in boot times and epg population at all.

| Mon 12 Dec 2011 14:41:27 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

I didn't see any problem until last winter. Looking around there's a few reports of some LNB which apparently suffer some problems related to frequency drift in the cold - hence the option to keep the power on on some receivers.

Maybe I've got some water ingress which freezes or a solder joint which opens up when things contract.

I'll replace the LNB and see what happens.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

| Tue 13 Dec 2011 10:38:14 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

I've changed the LNB and early signs are that the new one works consistently, even from cold.

I've been through the channel list downloaded from Humax Goodies to check signal quality across the range of channels to make sure I didn't disturb the alignment and got the skew angle about right.

Quality for most channels is 90 or 100%. EB1 signals (either H or V (and including the EPG)) are consistently between 60 and 80%.

I understand that the skew and alignment are a compromise but from what I read elsewhere 'a tiny nudge to the east' could improve the EB1 quality. I'll wait to see how much the quality drops in heavy rain.

Thanks to Graham for his help, not just on this but all the other sound advice he has provided - much appreciated.

| Thu 15 Dec 2011 10:23:59 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

dino - 1 hour ago  » 
    I've changed the LNB and early signs are that the new one works consistently, even from cold.
    I've been through the channel list downloaded from Humax Goodies to check signal quality across the range of channels to make sure I didn't disturb the alignment and got the skew angle about right.
    Quality for most channels is 90 or 100%. EB1 signals (either H or V (and including the EPG)) are consistently between 60 and 80%.
    I understand that the skew and alignment are a compromise but from what I read elsewhere 'a tiny nudge to the east' could improve the EB1 quality. I'll wait to see how much the quality drops in heavy rain.
    Thanks to Graham for his help, not just on this but all the other sound advice he has provided - much appreciated.

Good news

| Thu 15 Dec 2011 11:39:40 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.