My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Other Humax Products

Does Humax hate Samsung?

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrFraggle

For some time I have used without issue a HDR Fox T2 firstly with a Hisense 40" TV then a Samsung UE55KU6000 55" 4K Ultra HD but it began to green screen so decide to replace it with a Humax HDR-2000T but almost immediately I started to get an intermittent issue with picture break up or total loss for a moment with this error message: "The receiver is not receiving a signal or it is too weak." So I returned that and then bought a Humax HDR-1800T and guess what the same problem.

So it cannot be the PVR right two different ones cannot have the same or similar issues. It must be some part of the system? I swapped TV's but still the same error, so I am thinking perhaps it is the aerial or one of the cables I have from said aerial as there was not the issue with the TV fed on the other side of the house.
    But I thought I would try one last set up and connected the aerial directly to the TV therefore bypassing the PVR and lo and behold no issues at all.

So it must be either a HDMI, but the issue did occur with the Hisense TV so unlikely or a Humax issue.

What say you?

| Tue 8 Nov 2016 6:47:56 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

MrFraggle - 2 hours ago  » 
    I started to get an intermittent issue with picture break up or total loss for a moment with this error message: "The receiver is not receiving a signal or it is too weak."

Can you tell if the message is originating from the TV or the Humax? Do you have an aerial lead from the RF-OUT on the Humax to the TV? What is the signal strength and quality as reported by the Humax? Does the picture break up/loss of signal correspond to the start of a recording by the Humax?

| Tue 8 Nov 2016 9:33:57 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrFraggle

Can you tell if the message is originating from the TV or the Humax? I assume it is from the TV but I am not sure how one would tell?
    Do you have an aerial lead from the RF-OUT on the Humax to the TV? Er surely if I didn't then I would get no picture or have I understood you up wrong?
    What is the signal strength and quality as reported by the Humax? Randomly selecting channels I can see that strength is over 70% and strength is 100%.
    Does the picture break up/loss of signal correspond to the start of a recording by the Humax? Nope it is random and very intermittent.

| Tue 8 Nov 2016 9:48:52 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

MrFraggle - 8 minutes ago  » 
    Can you tell if the message is originating from the TV or the Humax? I assume it is from the TV but I am not sure how one would tell?
    Do you have an aerial lead from the RF-OUT on the Humax to the TV? Er surely if I didn't then I would get no picture or have I understood you up wrong?
    What is the signal strength and quality as reported by the Humax? Randomly selecting channels I can see that strength is over 70% and strength is 100%.
    Does the picture break up/loss of signal correspond to the start of a recording by the Humax? Nope it is random and very intermittent.

Fit a TV splitter before the box to give the TV a seperate aerial feed and turn on power saving in sby on the pvr to save some money on your electricity bills.

| Tue 8 Nov 2016 9:58:48 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrFraggle

Fit a TV splitter before the box to give the TV a seperate aerial feed and turn on power saving in sby on the pvr to save some money on your electricity bills.

Whereas I can understand your first suggestion and with that in mind I am having my aerial guy come and replace the cable and I will be fitting a splitter box as it was my intention to switch to the TV as source when I was not recording that way I do not have the issue.
    But to your second suggestion how does that help with my issue? As it happens I do have auto shut off enabled.

| Tue 8 Nov 2016 10:03:02 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

MrFraggle - 49 minutes ago  » 

Whereas I can understand your first suggestion and with that in mind I am having my aerial guy come and replace the cable and I will be fitting a splitter box as it was my intention to switch to the TV as source when I was not recording that way I do not have the issue.
    But to your second suggestion how does that help with my issue? As it happens I do have auto shut off enabled.

Not referring to auto shut off. To enable rf loopthrough a small rf amplifier has to be powered, this increases the sby power consumption. In addition the rf loopthrough on the 1800T apparently is disrupted when the box wakes to make a scheduled recording (I don't have one). This problem is not present on a HDR-FOX-T2 so rf loopthrough works on this box as it should. Using a splitter means you can turn on power saving in sby reducing the standby power to less than 0.5W and of course the problem as the box wakes is eliminated.

| Tue 8 Nov 2016 10:57:23 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrFraggle

99% of the time the box is on prior to recording so very rarely needs to wake.
    My issue happens randomly during the day when the PVR is not recording.
    But I will look into your, and I assume sby is Standby, tip once I have the new cable and splitter box fitted. Cheers.

| Tue 8 Nov 2016 11:12:52 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrFraggle

Alan my aerial guy has been and gone and sorted out my issue which was caused by the poor signal from the Humax box. He said and I think he would know that TV's these days have far better freeview tuners than most PVR's. He even plugged in a meter that showed rather than getting the 70+% signal strength it was actually 30% lower as PVR's tend to give, deliberately a higher reading than it is actually getting as far as signal strength was concerned.

So he fitted a powered masthead booster, re-cabled all my TV's rechecked his meter which now showed in the high 70% yet the Humax box showed 20% higher.

So at the cost of £120 I have three TV's getting all channels available with no dropout.

| Tue 8 Nov 2016 14:03:37 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Hi Mt fraggle.

I have had the same issue and there is a video on you tube showing this problem.

It just happens with PSB3 HD on mine and its so annoying in that it cant work for a while then the next day doesnt work at all. Its not the HDMI lead and its not compatibility with Samsung

I am now ordering a cheap box to check it out as I dont have another HD tuner at the moment.

What worries me is that is been reported that other people tvs pick up the HD signal but the Humax doesnt. Its only on one band though so I wouldnt have thought the Humax tuner could be faulty at one frequency.

When I have fully tested it I will credit the Humax if it turns out the aerial system is at fault

| Tue 8 Nov 2016 14:54:24 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

MrFraggle - 54 minutes ago  » 
    Alan my aerial guy has been and gone and sorted out my issue which was caused by the poor signal from the Humax box. He said and I think he would know that TV's these days have far better freeview tuners than most PVR's. He even plugged in a meter that showed rather than getting the 70+% signal strength it was actually 30% lower as PVR's tend to give, deliberately a higher reading than it is actually getting as far as signal strength was concerned.
    So he fitted a powered masthead booster, re-cabled all my TV's rechecked his meter which now showed in the high 70% yet the Humax box showed 20% higher.
    So at the cost of £120 I have three TV's getting all channels available with no dropout.

Interesting. My Humax reads 77% now on the affected band and all bands read in the 70 to 80 range. However it drops out to zero or cant be picked up at all some days. It can work for an evening then Im back to square one.

It come from a landlords powered aerial system but the other HD band is perfect. It may be the aerial is misaligned or water in the system, bad cable etc. Its just so strange that the other bands and one HD band are excellent.

| Tue 8 Nov 2016 15:02:49 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.