My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Does not always see the new HDD

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobdisk

Before Christmas, I changed the HDD in my Foxsat HDR from a 500gb to a 1tb drive, a WD Green (Cant remember numbers, but its the one designed for AV and security video, according to WD), and re-installed the latest Raydons firmware, v4.1.2. It all worked fine (including the old HDD in a USB caddy) and still does, except for one thing. When I start it for the first time in the day, It gives a message "hard drive not recognised, check your hard drive" (or similar!) and everything in the menu to do with the HDD is greyed out. I then switch off then back on again,(from the remote) and all is well. It has not missed any timer recordings while I was away over Christmas and New Year.

| Tue 7 Jan 2014 8:55:33 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Assuming the the drive is a new one (sata 3), did you jumper pins 5 and 6 on the drive ?

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/wd10eurx-1tb-hard-drive-work-ok-in-foxsat-hdr?quote=10511#postform

| Tue 7 Jan 2014 11:13:43 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobdisk

It is a brand new, unused drive. I have not put a jumper in. I read about the jumper after the installation, but had assumed that it would not work at all if the jumper was required, and it would be ok if it is not required.

| Tue 7 Jan 2014 14:17:34 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Sounds like the drive isn't starting quick enough for the HDR.

Make sure the drive power cable is fully home at both ends - if I remember correctly there's pin which can stop the drive spinning up immediately if it's not made properly. It's used for staggering drive start up on multi disk set ups. Never heard of it causing a problem on the HDR though.

If you pop the drive in a PC, does the PC BIOS reliably detect it from a cold start ?

| Wed 8 Jan 2014 14:21:06 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobdisk

Dino, you could be right, but I have never heard of a slow starting drive, unless it was faulty or very old. There are no problems with recording, manual or from the EPG, or playback. It got all 8 of the recordings I set for when I was away over Christmas & New Year, and Raydons runs ok (that is stored on the HDD)I have never tried it in a PC, it went straight into the Foxsat. I will try it at the weekend, and put in a link. And make a note of the exact model number.
    PS, It started OK this evening!!

| Wed 8 Jan 2014 19:02:22 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The hdrs not in a cold room by any chance is it ?

| Wed 8 Jan 2014 20:37:38 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobdisk

grahamlthompson - 11 hours ago  » 

No, CH set at 20deg, 16 when I am not there. Cant stand the cold, thats why I went on holiday over Xmas!

| Thu 9 Jan 2014 8:13:28 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

bobdisk - 2 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 11 hours ago  » 

No, CH set at 20deg, 16 when I am not there. Cant stand the cold, thats why I went on holiday over Xmas!

OK I remember a post from someone with a Foxsat in a conservatory, It would refuse to boot until the temperarure went up.

| Thu 9 Jan 2014 11:13:28 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobdisk

It is working OK now, starts every time. Records everything, from EPG setting, and live! (also records all BBC HD channels, but thats another thread!) So I havent disturbed it. Am I right in thinking that if the pins 5&6 link is required, but left out, it wont work at all?

| Tue 14 Jan 2014 8:47:54 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

bobdisk - 2 hours ago  » 
    . Am I right in thinking that if the pins 5&6 link is required, but left out, it wont work at all?

Not sure about this but as the jumper reduces the data transfer rate from sata3 to sata2 capability it could be a hit or miss timing error on boot. This could explain why a boot to recording sby always appears to work and a boot to full operation can be hit or miss. This is just a theory, no idea if it's correct.

| Tue 14 Jan 2014 11:01:11 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.