My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Dolby signal via HDMI

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

tuffdisc

I have just installed a Yamaha sound bar and I am sending the signal from my varios equipement's through the HDMI inputs.
    I cant seem to get the Dolby signal from HD channels on my HDR 320 (i have sound ok) up the HDMI cable I know the sound bar is set up correctly to accept and decode them (by switching in the DVD/BR player to the same socket) and all is well,
    I used to get the Dolby signal into my Panasonic surround system via the toslink output.
    Should the dolby signal pass up the HDMI cable to my sound bar ?
    {i have full capability cables)

| Wed 28 May 2014 22:28:19 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

tuffdisc

I have a previos post on this subject, but no reply todate so I would like to add to it after intensive testing last night "conclusion" is that HDMI sound out, does not carry the dolby surround info, it only outputs stereo via HDMI.
    I am sending to a Yamaha DSP 220 and its diagnostic's only show 2 channel stereo from the Humax HDR 320. I have a 100% sig. strength and superb pic. AS I said before the dolby info is sent out via the toslink but I am trying to eradicate as much cables as possible.
    Can anyone confirm my conclusion and can anyone cofirm if a new freesat HDR will transmit the dolby signal over the HDMI lead, and which model.

| Fri 30 May 2014 9:04:20 #1 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I doubt anything is wrong, a very large percentage of the HD channel audio is Dolby Digital 2.0 (Stereo) (ITV-HD never transmit 5.1) . DD2.0 does contain some surround info matrixed into the stereo stream, your Yamaha should have Dolby Prologic 11 processing to extract this data. My Denon amp displays Prologic for DD2.0 and Dolby Digital for 5.1. In both cases the presence of Dolby Digital is indicated by the Dolby double D icon being lit.

Try recording some Channel 4-HD movies, many do have 5.1 audio. Jools Holland on the BBC is also 5.1. Dr Who is usually 5.1 though the first episode of the last series was 2.0.

| Fri 30 May 2014 12:24:04 #2 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

tuffdisc

Thanks Graham, I will work around your suggestion and see if I can get the Yamaha indicator's to light up by trying the channel's you recommend.
    The Yamaha DSP 2200 can be a bit daunting to setup as there is so many variable's to play with, once you get it right though it is pretty spectacular. Watched Gladiator DVD ver. yesterday and the sound was awsome.

| Fri 30 May 2014 16:24:11 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

tuffdisc

Thanks Graham you were spot on, I was looking for the decoder indicator to light up from ITV HD / BBC 1 HD and as you say, they are not 5.1 surround. I tried Ch4 and BBC 3 HD (doctor Who) and it lit up right away, so all is well.
    So my conclusion was wrong, The Humax HDR 320 does send the dolby decoding signal (when it is transmitted) up the HDMI lead.

| Fri 30 May 2014 23:20:56 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

BBC1 HD isn't currently using 5.1 sound due to a fairly long standing issue with periodic audio drop outs.

| Sat 31 May 2014 9:55:59 #6 |
  7. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Are you sure? I have seen it on the current series of Jools Holland (just finished), for example (which has other audio glitches I think relating to the wireless miking set up they use).

| Sat 31 May 2014 18:36:28 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gomezz - 18 minutes ago  » 
    Are you sure? I have seen it on the current series of Jools Holland (just finished), for example (which has other audio glitches I think relating to the wireless miking set up they use).

Not sure but the last press release was that they had sorted the issue for BBC3 and BBC4 HD, but there were ongoing issues with the encoder used by BBC1 HD.

| Sat 31 May 2014 18:58:00 #8 |
  9. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Sorry. Missed that you specifically said BBC 1 HD. JH is on 2 of course.

| Sat 31 May 2014 19:40:41 #9 |
  10. brian

brian

special member

grahamlthompson - 14 hours ago  » 
    BBC1 HD isn't currently using 5.1 sound due to a fairly long standing issue with periodic audio drop outs.

They were with the Eurovision Song Contest a few weeks ago.

| Sun 1 Jun 2014 0:18:43 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.