My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Dongle for HDR1800T

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sadie

Hi, I have just ordered the HDR1800 and am looking for the appropriate dongle.

Can somebody please check this one out on Amazon and tell me if it will work?
    https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-WLAN-WiFI-150Mbps-Dongle-Black/dp/B006GJKAEU?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2OAJ7377F756P#Ask

If not, I'd appreciate being directed to the right one.

Thank you.

| Wed 30 Mar 2016 18:35:55 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Subject to the strength of your wifi signal that one will work but it is not very sensitive. There are other dongles which will work and are more sensitive.

I do have that Humax one because someone gave it to me, but the one I use is this
    https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=http://www.amazon.co.uk/ESYNiC-300Mbps-Wireless-Dongle-Adapter/dp/B00RFLHF14/?tag=blusas008-21
    It does not work on many of the Humax models but it does work on both the HDR-1800T and the HDR-2000T. It is cheaper, more sensitive and more flexible in that it picks up not just 2.4ghz wifi but also 5ghz.
    If you see it cheaper than £7.99 elsewhere, or on Amazon, make sure that the description describes it has having the Ralink chipset RT5572N.
    One minor point is that the software on your HDR-1800T must not be really old. For this dongle the software version needs to be UKTFAC 1.01.13 or higher/later.
    You can check in the HDR-1800T menus: MENU -> Settings -> System -> System Information

There are more sensitive ones than either of those but at least with the one for £7.99 you have a better chance as it is more sensitive than the one for £22 and if you do need a more sensitive one it won't hurt as much!

| Wed 30 Mar 2016 20:36:43 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sadie

That's great! Thank you. £8 is certainly better than £20 odd. These things must cost pennies to make, why they don't include them with the main unit is rather irritating. Still, at least the discount code posted by Barry will pay for the dongle

| Wed 30 Mar 2016 21:20:18 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Sadie - 12 hours ago  » 
    That's great! Thank you. £8 is certainly better than £20 odd. These things must cost pennies to make, why they don't include them with the main unit is rather irritating. Still, at least the discount code posted by Barry will pay for the dongle

The best dongle is a 'Homeplug'. I find Wifi to be quite poor for streaming HD. Homeplugs 'just work' and are trouble free.

| Thu 31 Mar 2016 9:23:30 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 6 minutes ago  » 

Sadie - 12 hours ago  » 

The best dongle is a 'Homeplug'. I find Wifi to be quite poor for streaming HD. Homeplugs 'just work' and are trouble free.

They don't just work for everyone. At lot depends on how your house is wired. If the transmitter and receiver are both on the same ring main they should work just fine. If they happen to be on different ring mains and have to transmit via the consumer unit, they can be very slow or fail to work at all. If you happen to be mega-rich and live in a very large property and have ring mains on different phases they are even more problematic. Probably work just fine for most but certainly not everyone. Same for WiFi, how good it is depends on your property and what sort of router you have. A modern ac router with beam forming can provide fast wireless transfers to points lesser routers cannot reach. A USB extension lead can often allow a dongle to be mounted in a spot that works a lot better than buried in a HiFi rack or under a TV.

| Thu 31 Mar 2016 9:38:52 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sadie

Hi, thanks for all the advice, it's very much appreciated. If I were mega rich (I wish) I'd be paying somebody to do all this for me

I live in a Mobile Home, so no solid walls and the unit is only about 8-10 feet from the router. I should get a decent enough wifi signal. Anyway, fingers crossed the cheapy solution will do the trick, but I have no doubt I shall be back for more help with this advancement - if something doesn't plug and play I'm lost

| Thu 31 Mar 2016 10:01:57 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 4 hours ago  » 

Faust - 6 minutes ago  » 

Sadie - 12 hours ago  » 

They don't just work for everyone. At lot depends on how your house is wired. If the transmitter and receiver are both on the same ring main they should work just fine. If they happen to be on different ring mains and have to transmit via the consumer unit, they can be very slow or fail to work at all. If you happen to be mega-rich and live in a very large property and have ring mains on different phases they are even more problematic. Probably work just fine for most but certainly not everyone. Same for WiFi, how good it is depends on your property and what sort of router you have. A modern ac router with beam forming can provide fast wireless transfers to points lesser routers cannot reach. A USB extension lead can often allow a dongle to be mounted in a spot that works a lot better than buried in a HiFi rack or under a TV.

I think as a proportion of the population those who might encounter problems will be infinitesimally small though.

I have both the Apple Extreme router and a HH5 both multi-frequency i.e. 5 MHz I get just about maximum signal in most rooms and yet our microwave oven can bring either to their knees and as said before HD streaming can stutter, especially if you try to fast forward. Homeplugs - no such issue.

| Thu 31 Mar 2016 14:22:58 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 44 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 4 hours ago  » 

Faust - 6 minutes ago  » 

Sadie - 12 hours ago  » 

I think as a proportion of the population those who might encounter problems will be infinitesimally small though.
    I have both the Apple Extreme router and a HH5 both multi-frequency i.e. 5 MHz I get just about maximum signal in most rooms and yet our microwave oven can bring either to their knees and as said before HD streaming can stutter, especially if you try to fast forward. Homeplugs - no such issue.

Depends on your house and where your router is. If it's upstairs it's normally a seperate ring main. Just because it works for you, you cannot assume it will work for everyone.

| Thu 31 Mar 2016 15:08:45 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I don't assume they will work for everyone and yes our router is upstairs. I do think though they are a more reliable choice than wifi. One of the reasons Youview and the original 1000s didn't go Wifi was because in the main it can be more unreliable than using the houses wiring.

Youview were terrified their CS departments would be inundated with angry customers unable to access the IPTV feed. I can well understand their fears.

| Thu 31 Mar 2016 16:36:03 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.