My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Downloading ITV Player and 4OD programmes to PC?

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

humaxhunt

I realise this is slightly off topic but it does follow on very nicely from an earlier thread I started where one of many helpful people on this forum pointed me at...

get_iplayer

I run WIN7 (sorry not LINUX!) ...and am keen to record ITV Player and 4OD in the same way...but get_iplayer does not work..

I did fine one programme but it does not support the more recent programmes on 4OD.

Thank you!

| Thu 8 Nov 2012 20:54:53 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Partridge2

Not to my knowledge but I haven't kept up to speed with this.

get_iplayer used to work with ITV a couple of years ago but then ITV changed the format.

I understand that get_flash_videos used to work but seems not to now (I haven't tried). Also available for windows:
    http://code.google.com/p/get-flash-videos/

By the way (sorry off topic!) if you want to use a program which only runs on linux then you can create a bootable copy of something like Ubuntu Linux on a CD, so you don't need to replace Windows on your computer. Or you can install a free virtual machine software to run a copy of a linux distribution from within Windows. I used to be a heavy windows user but came round to preferring linux after trying it a bit - you never know you might like it

| Sat 10 Nov 2012 14:08:57 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

In my experience ITV Player/4oD have much lower quality streamable content than BBC iPlayer which in some cases has nice 720i50 content which is lowish bitrate for HD but so well encoded you barely notice (good job BBC). Well worth a download especially if smaller files are important - obviously not everyone has a load of 1TB+ drives hanging around.

So with those ITV/4oD ones which are nowhere near as good even on the SD quality side, it might be a case of buying official DVDs, or in cases where the broadcasters haven't seen the sense of making them (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KeepCirculatingTheTapes) go for a downloadable "scene" version.

Please note, I advised the legal option first there!

| Sun 11 Nov 2012 1:04:53 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.