My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Dropped WIFI connection

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

TonyH63

Hi All.

I bought one of these boxes for my Mum earlier in the year prior to the switch-over and also got her W-LAN Stick for access to iPlayer etc.

She's only just started using this however we find that it keeps dropping the connection. Although it recognises the WIFI network it sometimes takes a long time to connect and other times quite quick. However usually after about 10 seconds the connection is dropped.

Is this likely to be the router (PlusNet Standard) or a faulty dongle?

Other devices such as laptops and smartphones connect successfully and do not drop the connection.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated thanks.

| Mon 17 Sep 2012 19:06:55 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It could simply be the location. Boxes tend to be located in far from ideal locations for wifi. Could be worth trying a short extension cable to relocate it.

Welcome to the forum by the way

| Mon 17 Sep 2012 19:16:59 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It could well be that someone else nearby is using the same channel as your router. What is the distance between the router and T2 and how many walls would it pass through?

Snap GT - WiFi stuff can be tricky - but so can homeplugs - my ISP has inserted a speed test on the media player - a 200mns plug gives 9mbs in one direction and 16mbs in the other. GT don't reply - don't want to hijack the thread.

| Mon 17 Sep 2012 19:18:46 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

REPASSAC - 1 minute ago  » 
    It could well be that someone else nearby is using the same channel as your router. What is the distance between the router and T2 and how many walls would it pass through?

I find this free software to be handy to look at what other routers are in range.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

| Mon 17 Sep 2012 19:21:15 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

TonyH63

Hi guys thanks for the quick responses.

Yes I did think about the location as the box is sitting on a shelf in a solid pine TV unit in the corner of the room so I thought the signal may be weaker there although I did check with my phone in the same place and it still managed to get a decent signal. When you say a 'short extension' is this for the dongle so it effectively relocates to the front of the box and connects to the USB port via an extension cable?

There isn't a great distance between dongle and router may 5 or 6 metres at most and the only obstacle is a glass and wood framed wall and door and obviously any furniture - however see point above about location of box itself.

| Tue 18 Sep 2012 7:06:00 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Yes a short usb extention cable will give you more freedom to relocate the dongle. Repassacs suggestion is a good one. The software I linked to will show you what other kit in your vicinity uses the same channels as your router and their relative strengths. A pair of homeplug adaptors will likely be a more reliable connection.

| Tue 18 Sep 2012 9:10:35 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

TonyH63

Hi guys - just to let you know the USB extension did the job. Plugged it in last night and the connection was there straight away and stays connected permanently - works like a dream.

I did look at and install the software mentioned too. Interesting stuff helped have a look at my own network and do some tweaking so good result there too.

Thanks again, Tony.

| Thu 27 Sep 2012 6:56:20 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.