My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

DTR-1000 freezing/crashing

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

m5rcc

I wonder if anyone could share some light on what may be a common issue, but haven't found the exact same situation on here.

Have a refurb DTR-1000 bought in March 2014 and has been working fine up until a few works ago where it would just freeze whilst watching live TV. This could be after 4 hrs of watching live TV and no recordings are being done.

Lately, this crashing phenomenon has occurred on a more frequent and timely basis where now it'll will just crash (or freeze with what it was showing). The remote is ineffective and the only way to sort it out is by switching it off at the back, waiting and restarting where it would reboot as normal and start again until the next crash. Some nights it can be 3-4 times and others not a single time.

I have done a software reset under maintenance mode and factory reset too. It wouldn't allow me to do an internet factory reset (maybe because I'm using a TP-Link wireless Ethernet switch. Nothing has improved the situation.

So my question is my 1000 buggered completely? Is it a hard drive issue? An overheating issue? I can't complain too much as I paid £100 for it back then, albeit on eBay as a refurb, but just a shame that its conked out in a short space of time.

Any ideas?

| Fri 10 Apr 2015 23:07:48 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

The increase in frequency of freezing is a bad sign, and the inability to do a fresh reset from the internet means there's not much you can do about it. Both the DTR-T1000s I formerly owned followed a similar path to an early grave. Would that either had lasted as long as yours has done.

You may want to start watching up any unwatched recordings. Sorry to sound pessimistic. Newer models are said to be more reliable.

| Fri 10 Apr 2015 23:55:52 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

m5rcc

At the moment it's even having trouble booting up!

What would you recommend as a replacement? The 2000 or 2100?

| Sat 11 Apr 2015 10:44:22 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I haven't myself used either the DTR-T2000 or the DTR-T2100. As I understand it, they're thought to be the same box in different casings.

The T-2000 is the retail version, and gets its updates on the retail schedule - usually first. This can be a mixed blessing, as it means retail box users basically get to debug the releases.

The T2100 is the BT version, and gets its updates on the BT schedule - usually but not always a little later than the retail boxes. Also, if connected to BT's broadband, the T2100 will immediately acquire a BT TV player and various other bits of BT branding in the UI - regardless of whether you choose to sign up for BT TV.. (Edit - struck this out, as I remembered that any YouView box would get this branding if connected to BT's network - it's not specific to the T2100)

Both versions have an external power supply and are said to be considerably faster and more responsive than the T1000/1010.

That's about all I know, and as I say is based on what I've read, not on my own experience.

| Sat 11 Apr 2015 11:09:02 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

m5rcc

Could I then in theory buy a BT 2100 box and use it as 'retail', i.e. without a BT contract?

| Sat 11 Apr 2015 11:20:16 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

m5rcc - 48 minutes ago  » 
    Could I then in theory buy a BT 2100 box and use it as 'retail', i.e. without a BT contract?

Yes. The only difference being the case and badging, and the update schedule, and possibly the warranty.

| Sat 11 Apr 2015 12:10:43 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

m5rcc

JamesB - 1 minute ago  » 

m5rcc - 48 minutes ago  » 

Yes. The only difference being the case and badging, and the update schedule, and possibly the warranty.

Thanks!

| Sat 11 Apr 2015 12:12:29 #7 |
  8. Barry

Barry

senior admin

One minor point which you may want to consider

BT provide the support for BT branded boxes not Humax.

| Sat 11 Apr 2015 14:47:55 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Barry - 42 minutes ago  » 
    One minor point which you may want to consider
    BT provide the support for BT branded boxes not Humax.

Good point.

Though in practice I suspect it doesn't make much difference except in respect of the warranty, as YouView provides support for all variants.

| Sat 11 Apr 2015 15:36:59 #9 |
  10. brian

brian

special member

m5rcc - 21 hours ago  » 

I'm not sure whether BT would sell you a DTR-T2100, but you can certainly buy a DTR-T2110 from many well known retailers.

| Sun 12 Apr 2015 9:04:23 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.