My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

DTR-T1000 more reliable than HDR-FOX T2?

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

loungelizard

Hi everyone,

I recently bought an HDR-FOX T2 and found it to have a much better picture, so much faster and more reliable than my ageing PVR-9200TX. My mother would now like a replacement for her dying PVR-9200TX and I feel like I should be recommending the DTR-T1000 because it's the future and I feel that Humax may have lost interest in the older HDR-FOX T2 and it's TV Portal. Of course she'd like more catch-up channels but feels that if she could reliably record two channels then she probably wouldn't need them too much. She does however love iPlayer on her Smart TV.

I'm sure there's a few people on here who have had both so my questions to you are:

1. Is the DTR-T1000 just as likely to reliably record two channels with no failures given a good aerial and signal?
    2. Do you believe in 2 or 3 years time YouView will dominate the premium Freeview PVR market with more features, services and providers, or will it have died a death like ONdigital and ITV Digital?
    3. Assuming there was no cost difference which would you recommend for the 60 or 70 year old of today?

Thanks for reading, I appreciate that it's all just opinion but I would be really interested in any unbiased thoughts.

| Mon 26 Nov 2012 16:47:56 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

It is an interesting question and I will be interested to know what other people think. The DTR-T1000 was rather lacking in features when released but recent software updates do seem to be going in the right direction with more to come. My guess is that either box would be suitable for the stated purpose but you really need the views of the Youview box users.

| Mon 26 Nov 2012 17:52:35 #2 |
  3. Scuttlebroom

Scuttlebroom

I have both an HDR Fox T2 as well as a YouView DTR-T1000 and as Martin has said with the latest software updates, the box is improving all the time, and I can tell you that YouView are very proactive when engaging with their customers, and they have confirmed that there will be up to 4 software updates each year (once every quarter) so hopefully all the little niggles that were highlighted when the box came out will be addressed.

I use my YouView box to primarily record programs that i think i may be interested in, as well as series recording of shows that are on too many times (CSI) and that allows me to use my HDR to watch live TV.

I find that the 7 day backwards EPG is great if I miss a programme (I can simply pop out to the pub now without having to set the box to record!) as I can simply go backwards and see if the programme is available (depending on rights issues) and press OK to watch!

As for will the go out of business, i doubt it, due to all the main broadcasters being partners, and actually paying to set up the company, so as long as boxes are sold, the product will still be there!

As for your Mother using one, I don't see a problem as they have designed it for everyone to use, and there is a great forum that YouView actively participate on, so any issues are easily answered and we are all willing to help anyone out!

| Mon 26 Nov 2012 18:26:11 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

loungelizard

Thanks for the comments. I thought I had read somewhere that missed recordings due to incorrect metadata or the handling of it where more common than on the HDR-FOX T2. Was that just early on and it's all sorted now?

| Tue 27 Nov 2012 12:44:31 #4 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

DTR T1000 more reliable then the T2 - a definite no from me, but it is a case of horses for courses.

Youview unit still has to many basic PVR functions missing for it to get any recommendation for me, along with some outstanding issues.

However it depends on priorites, if on demand use is top of your list then obviously YV having all the major players on board is a plus.

| Tue 27 Nov 2012 13:10:26 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

To use YouView you have to have your broadband internet turned on all the time. This alone makes it a non starter for my dad, he turns his broadband off when not using his PC and when I stay with them he keeps asking if I've finished using my iPad so he can turn broadband off. He is obsessed about the power consumption and hence electricity bill.

| Sat 8 Dec 2012 17:40:21 #6 |
  7. gomezz

gomezz

special member

That is not true. You can use Youview to watch broadcast channels and recordings without being connected to the internet. In fact many users have the opposite problem of having to force it to reconnect before they can make use of the catch up services.

| Sat 8 Dec 2012 19:44:24 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

The Guide comes over the internet. How can you use the box without a broadband connection, you will have no guide, no software updates etc.

| Sun 9 Dec 2012 4:14:28 #8 |
  9. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Because you were talking about not having broadband on "all the time". You do not need to have it on "all the time" but can do software updates etc at a time when it is connected. Are you sure about the EPG info for the current week rather than the previous week? Try it and see.

You need to explain to your dad that turning his router on and off all the time is liable to cost him more in the long run as the thermal shocks will shorten its life and he will need buy a new one for a lot more pounds than the pennies he is saving.

| Sun 9 Dec 2012 11:21:23 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

I have explained the thermal shocks killing the router and as an engineer he understands this. However the last two times it happened he screwed a replacement for free out of Talk Talk so isn't bothered. I also explained that the network drops may reduce his speed and he also isn't bothered, since he gets 12 megabits with a 12db SNR (lucky bugger) so is entirely happy with the speed.

He also thinks he's safer with it turned off since the nasty people can only attack him when it is on. But this is only justifictation for the electricity saving. I measured the consumption and proved to him that it is trivial, but he isn't swayed. He's now digging his heels in just for the sake of it, so anything I do is counter productive. He needs to be left to stew in his own juice for a year or two.

| Thu 13 Dec 2012 2:37:23 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.