My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

DTR T2000 Hard Drive

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

petershaw9

Have asked this question of Humax support but wondering whether I will get a better answer here.

The hard drive in my Humax DTR T2000 YouView box is continually running, even when the box is turned off and no recordings are scheduled. I notice this most first thing in the morning when the box has been off all night. Importantly, I do not remember this being the case when my box was new. I have searched for any options/settings that would allow me to reduce the amount of time the hard drive is active but without success.

Is anyone able to confirm:
    - Whether the hard drive should be active 24hrs/day with the DTR T2000
    - If there are any settings that can control the level of activity
    - What the unit is actually doing - it should be turned off, no recordings are scheduled so there is no need for the hard drive to be active

| Mon 14 Sep 2015 7:43:51 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Is it in Low Eco mode? If so, try High Eco.

| Mon 14 Sep 2015 7:52:52 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

petershaw9

Have checked and Yes, in high eco mode the disk spins down, thanks for the suggestion. Guess that is why it is 'eco' - obvious when someone points it out.

Have had to unlink my mobile device [iPhone] to change to High Eco but that and the extra start up time is probably a price worth paying for the silence :)..

Does anyone have experience of how long a hard drive that is constantly spinning will last for? I would guess only 3-5yrs.

Peter

ps. no response yet from 'uksupport@humax-digital.co.uk'

| Thu 17 Sep 2015 20:35:36 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Support for the YouView boxes is complicated. It's YouView, not Humax, that decides what's going to receive attention. This disc-spinning problem is unlikely to be fixed (IMO) because it's more convenient for YouView (and especially BT) if the boxes are up and at it 24/7. Low eco is not a genuine standby mode - it's virtually full on. That's why the boxes have to be in low eco mode to link to the app. It's out of order for Humax not to respond, but even if they do, they're probably not going to be able to help. Sorry to be pessimistic.

| Thu 17 Sep 2015 21:44:59 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

petershaw9

Humax say:

Hi Peter,

Thank you for contacting Humax.

It may be best to simply change the eco-mode setting on your box to high, which can be done via the Device Management menu under settings. This will cause the hard drive to switch off sooner whilst in stand-by and and therefore use less electricity.
    Unfortunately with setting the eco-mode to high, it would cause the boot-up process to take a little longer.

The hard drive on the box wouldn't switch off when the unit is placed into standby immediately and would continue running a bit longer, or if recordings are set to begin soon. The hard drive would typically remain in a low-power state so as to allow a faster boot-up from standby.

Best Regards,

AndrewG
    Humax Customer Support

| Tue 22 Sep 2015 11:24:30 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

RhythMick

Bought this box yesterday and yes I can report that even from new the disk is

a) spinning all the time (Eco in LOW mode)
    b) noisy (clunky)

My wife hates it because of the noise - it's low, but enough to be distracting. It may have to be returned because of this.

| Tue 22 Sep 2015 11:38:02 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.