My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

DTR-T2000 setup without Internet and default skin

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Stobar

My parents have a DTR-T2000 that is not functioning properly. My parents are elderly and cannot handle change very well so I have purchased a used replacement DRT-T2000 which I presumed would be exactly the same as thier current one and am trying to set it up for them, however I do not seem to be able to do this without an internet connection.

They have no internet at their home so will not need any internet enabled features.

If I connect to the internet at my home, it takes on my ISP's skinned theme (EE TV) even though I do not subscribe to the service, and then when disconnected continues to display this and shows missing functionality. Their current box is branded with the default Youview skin and as far as I know, no internet connection was used to set it up.

Is it possible to set up without an internet connection, or, set up with one, remove the EE theme, and then somehow hand it over to them and it will continue to work unconnected like their current box? I'm confused - maybe there are different variants of the T2000?

| Mon 18 Dec 2023 18:46:08 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi Stobar,

I did some work for YOUVIEW as a trialist over past few years, know these boxes very well. I know that the Youview design doesn't work correctly without broadband connected. Not sure how your parents used the box before, maybe you set box up at your home first, but you won't get all the features, inc. tile icons, EPG logos etc+ also software updates & connections to the Youview server for various features/backup of schedules saved to their server.

The only work around for you is to tune the channels at your home first (if you live locally) & then they can use the pvr without broadband.

Yes there are various versions of the Youview pvr + also different skins added linked to ISP detected when box in working. I guess the box is confused & needs resetting correctly. Some were retail boxes & some are subscription only, but these can be used in the same way as retail boxes. It is confusing!

BUT I think your problem is the resetting of the box? You 100% need broadband, as the box when searching/updating needs this function. I would ideally recommend resetting the box (without deleting recordings option) with option 2 on the maintenance mode menu, look for your model & carefully follow instructions BUT you MUST be connected to Broadband or box will jam when searching for software! - Here is the link:

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

Hope I have been of help. Please let forum know how you get on/if you need more help. John L

| Mon 18 Dec 2023 19:09:30 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi Stobar,

Just a thought. When you first setup your parent's Youview PVR, was it on the original "old gen" software? Because their box would not having any updates since changeover around 2018. The current tiled "new gen" version is much stricter with needing internet connection. This might also answer part of your query. At the end of the day, Youview is designed for internet. John L

| Mon 18 Dec 2023 19:59:20 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Stobar

I'm not sure who did the initial setup of the old box. I know that my brother in law has taken it away to apply updates in the past, however I'm not sure how he does this, maybe by USB?

Anyway, my sister has now purchased another T2000 so it'll be interesting to see how if she has any luck with the help of more tech savvy nephews.

Interesting that you say Youview is designed for internet. For my parents it's just used as a digital recorder for TV programmes.

I'm not trying to reset the box. I presumed that the previous owner did a factory reset before handing it over. Plus I have factory reset it couple of times myself. It's almost like I want to connect it to the internet and set it up without it knowing who my ISP is. So I don't get any of the EE TV stuff cluttering it up.

| Mon 18 Dec 2023 22:36:47 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi Stobar,

With regards previous owner resetting box, you still have to reset box, so that it "reads" which isp you are using. Hence box will stay on skin linked to whatever is setup. Yes, it can be used as a recorder only, but as mentioned to you, it was really built with internet design. Ask many other users and they will agree. You asked about why things were happening with box and it's now been explained to you.

You could also check with Youview and also on the BT Youview forum for more clarification. Many users have asked the same questions over the years. Hope your parents enjoy the new box. John L

| Tue 19 Dec 2023 9:24:12 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Stobar - 1 day ago  » 
    maybe there are different variants of the T2000?

No, just the one, although if the software hasn't been updated since 2017 it may also look different. In 2017 there was a major change to the youview box's software which enabled youview to track all box usage. The box would then send the usage details to youview when the box was connected to the internet, or store it for sending to youview the next time it was connected to the internet. This was also accompanied by changes in the menus which would nable this to be done in a manner that box usage could be better analysed at the destination of the usage data.

Stobar - 1 day ago  » 
    I know that my brother in law has taken it away to apply updates in the past, however I'm not sure how he does this, maybe by USB?

It wouldn't have been via a USB memory, due to a perceived risk of compromising some of the box's security measures.

Stobar - 1 day ago  » 
    If I connect to the internet at my home, it takes on my ISP's skinned theme (EE TV) even though I do not subscribe to the service, and then when disconnected continues to display this and shows missing functionality.

You are correct in that the variations in style and the non-usable extra functionality that is also displayed is based on the ISP that it was last connected to.

To remove the EE theme it will need to be replaced by another theme. To revert to a non-ISP theme, the box will need to be connected temporarily to an ISP that is not EE/BT, Plusnet or TalkTalk. The DTR-T2000 will usually realise it is attached to a different ISP shortly after connecting. If you want to speed things up then a reset will make it notice the change.

You will need to ask someone who has a router, and is not with EE/BT, Plusnet or TalkTalk, if you can set your box up temporarily using their internet to connect. Obviously, you'll also be needing it to be connected to their TV so that you can check that the update has happened. If you need to unplug or disconnect anything of theirs, make sure you write it down and take photos, so that you can put everything back correctly when you have finished!

Stobar - 1 day ago  » 
    Their current box ... and as far as I know, no internet connection was used to set it up.

Do you have any idea how long ago their current box was last updated by your brother-in-law? If it was more than 6 years ago then even if you manage to get the box updated to a Vanilla youview style, the changes that occurred in 2017 will make the new box still look different to what they may be used to.

| Wed 20 Dec 2023 13:58:41 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi Luke,

Thank you for adding more information to confirm how the box is designed and works. It's an interesting PVR, but designed differently than the Freeview pvrs. Hopefully Stobar has all the facts to answer his original query and more information. Thank you Luke. John L

| Wed 20 Dec 2023 14:27:45 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Stobar

Hi, I did a software reset from maintenance mode and that has got rid of EE TV on the UI, so now it won't feel as alien to them. It still show placeholders for apps and sport etc, which I would have liked to hide or get rid of. I am going to show it to them and see how they get on with it. Thanks for all your help.

| Fri 22 Dec 2023 13:58:56 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Good news Stobar,

In time for Christmas! I'm sure they will be pleased with their replacement pvr.

John L

| Sat 23 Dec 2023 12:29:45 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.