My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

DTR1000 freezes on iplayer only

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

have you tried pausing iplayer for a few minutes during the evening or when you notice the internet connection is slow?

In the past this always worked for me on other Humax boxes when the iplayer/internet connection was slow. There's nothing worse than trying to watch something where it keeps on freezing, pausing it for a short while allowed it to catch up, buffer data and then be watched stutter free.

I've read conflicting reports of whether the dtr1000 buffers or not, some reviews state that a portion of the hard drive is reserved for buffering, other reports state that it doesn't buffer which would explain one of the problems if there's high contention on iplayer

#Barry? if you're around and have time at some point, any chance of you confirming with Humax conclusively whether the dtr1000 buffers or not. I can understand the temptation to return a perfectly good and working dtr1000 to a retailer if it doesn't buffer as you can guarantee iplayer and other services will have problems from time to time if it doesn't. Thanks.

| Wed 26 Nov 2014 14:16:02 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

YouView has a most peculiar comment on this question on its support site:

When you watch an On Demand or catch up programme, your YouView box downloads some of the programme in advance so that it plays smoothly. Depending on how fast your broadband is this may cause a delay, which we call buffering, typically you will see a spinning icon in the centre of the screen when one of the on-demand players is buffering.

http://support.youview.com/articles/Self_Service_FAQ/Why-are-my-On-Demand-programmes-buffering-1370864318728

This doesn't make sense to me. What's the point of pre-downloading if you just play the downloaded chunk and then stop to download the next chunk? Should surely be acquiring Chunk 2 while Chunk 1 is being played, so that the stream is seen by the viewer as seamless.

| Wed 26 Nov 2014 14:47:26 #12 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.