My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Editing out adverts on usb hard drives from PC

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

I have backed up all my recorded programs onto a Samsung 1TB usb hard drive. is there any way of editing out the commercials from my PC, any simple software to do this ? Thanks

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 13:26:56 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Not free but the bees knees in rapid editing of mpeg compressed content. Try the free trials.

http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 17:03:05 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

Thanks but I don't want to make DVDs, I just want to simply edit out adverts and re-save them to my usb drive. I already have Magix movie maker pro.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 20:02:49 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

hubb - 23 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks but I don't want to make DVDs, I just want to simply edit out adverts and re-save them to my usb drive. I already have Magix movie maker pro.

You misunderstand

The cheaper software can create a new file with adverts removed in a few minutes thanks to the fact that the video is only recoded at edit points but only for SD content (mpeg2). It is not a DVD authoring package.

The more expensive TVsuite version has DVD authoring options, but also adds the same fast output file options for HD content (H264/AVC).

If you try to use the Magix software it will re-code the entire content taking a very long time compared to the above software.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 20:32:35 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

Ok, so I will get HD programmes edited and re-coded as good quality as they were recorded by the Humax ?

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 20:55:58 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

hubb - 1 hour ago  » 
    Ok, so I will get HD programmes edited and re-coded as good quality as they were recorded by the Humax ?

The software does not recode the content apart from a few frames at the edit points where you cut out content. The quality is 100% identical to the original. The software simply copies the exact same data as you import to it, except where you cut into a mpeg group of pictures (gop).

Basically mpeg compression reduces the amount of data required to transmit the content by recording one full frame (1920 x 1080 for full HD), known as the Iframe. The next few frames have only the difference from the iframe recorded (as all mpeg compression system work).

The process is lossy, it loses data that you may not notice. The whole data for the compressed frames within the GOP ( known as a group of pictures). The mpeg decoder rebuilds the subsequent frames from the reference iframe and the following partial frame with the difference data (P frames).

You cannot edit a mpeg compressed video without the essential original I frame in the GOP because the data contained in the P frames refers to the I frame within the GOP.

If you edit a mpeg video exactly at a Iframe to Iframe boundary to cut out content, the resulting output is as fast as your PC can copy from 1 file to another (that's really fast), provided your editor is clever enough to recognise this.

The more advanced mpeg video editor software have options to skip from iframe to iframe.

If you choose a edit point in the middle of a GOP, the best software like VideoRedo can go back to the original Iframe before the edit and build a new GOP based on the remaining frames to the frame before the edit point. The frame after is converted to a new Iframe with the remaining P frames now related to the new Iframe. As a result the conversion is really fast.

If you don't understand the technology involved don't worry, the final result is not any different to the input source.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 23:21:59 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.