My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

EPG changes after November update?

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rick J

Newbie here! Well, new to 4000T anyway, just bought one to replace elderly 9200T that was playing up.

It loaded in the new November software on boot-up so I have no comparison with earlier versions. I have a few questions, hope someone can help.
    1) Even on a 37" TV the EPG seems to be in a somewhat unnecessarily compressed font and difficult to read. Can this be changed at all?
    2) Also, the EPG, inexplicably, shows the time delineations at the top at the half hour, (17.30 - 18.30 - 19.30 etc) which is somewhat annoying as a lot of channel schedules are based round program changes on the hour. The screen shots of the EPG on the reviews and ads for the PVR actually show the time delineations on the hour (so why the half hour on mine?) and though its hard to tell from a screen shot, the font generally seems a little clearer. Is this change a feature of the November 16 software update? Can it be changed or customised? In fact can anything in the UI be tweaked or changed?

I have also had the "won't wake up" problem, but I will apply some of the detailed advice provided on this matter in other posts.

Basically the thing seems to work OK and picture quality is excellent, but it just seems to be "hard work" compared to the 9200T (which had slowed down to a crawl, which is why it was replaced) but was dead easy to use. Many of the functions were one touch from a dedicated key, instead of all this "menu tree" stuff, and two or three touches to just do something as simple as play a recording.

Anybody any thoughts?

Thanks in advance - Rick J

| Tue 6 Dec 2016 0:51:22 #1 |
  2. prking

prking

It was changed some time ago because people complained the font was too big.

| Tue 6 Dec 2016 8:49:51 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

prking - 30 minutes ago  » 
    It was changed some time ago because people complained the font was too big.

That seems to be a perverse thing to do and ignores those users who may have poorer eyesight. Perhaps they should follow computer OS's which have an 'accessibility mode'.

| Tue 6 Dec 2016 9:23:17 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

hackenbacker

Rick J - 8 hours ago  » 
    2) Also, the EPG, inexplicably, shows the time delineations at the top at the half hour, (17.30 - 18.30 - 19.30 etc) which is somewhat annoying as a lot of channel schedules are based round program changes on the hour. The screen shots of the EPG on the reviews and ads for the PVR actually show the time delineations on the hour (so why the half hour on mine?)

It doesn't - the EPG shows a 2 hour window, anchored to the last half hour that has passed.

So, if you go to the EPG when the time is between :00 and :29 it will show on the hour delineations. If you enter the EPG between :30 and :59, it will show half past the hour.

| Tue 6 Dec 2016 9:25:39 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rick J

Thanks Hackenbacker, - in fact I just noticed it myself this morning when I checked it at around 9.15 this morning! But thanks for the clear explanation, I had just thought it was happening randomly like a lot of other stuff on the 4000T appears to until you get down to the nitty gritty.

Incidentally, I did all the adjustments to settings late last night as advised in the very helpful posts on the thread about not waking up, and all seemed well at 9.15 this morning. Lets hope it continues.

Thanks also to a devil of a good post from Faust above, which refers to accessibility modes available on computers and mobile phones. I'm 67, my wife is 66. We are not "elderly" in the sense that we both work, we both are fully sentient (sort of), both working, and both use computers and technological devices all the time in our work. (I have been the FD of a computer company in my dim and distant past.) I am still playing lead guitar in a rock band at weekends. But the passing of years has made our eyesight somewhat less acute than it used to be, and, like using the bold font option on my iPhone, it would have been very helpful of Humax to have offered a few UI tweaks to accessibility to accommodate older people who must make up a reasonably noticeable proportion of their customer base.

Finally, can someone explain the difference between "switching off" and "standby". Is it as simple that the latter is just the consequence of the former, or is there more to it?

Thanks in advance for your patience and good advice.

Rick J

| Tue 6 Dec 2016 12:26:30 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Rick J - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Finally, can someone explain the difference between "switching off" and "standby". Is it as simple that the latter is just the consequence of the former, or is there more to it?

Standby is the state reached by pressing the button on the remote and reduces the boxes power consumption but leaves it capable of making a recording when required. Switching off usually means completely removing the electrical power so the box can do nothing and is occasionally required to recover from some fault conditions.

| Tue 6 Dec 2016 12:40:52 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rick J

Thanks Martin - I think I get that!
    Is there a more elegant way of switching off power than simply yanking out the power cord on the back? The 9200T had a little rocker switch on the back for that, but I can't find an equivalent on the 4000T.

Rick J

| Tue 6 Dec 2016 13:15:53 #7 |
  8. Barry

Barry

senior admin

No other way to switch off.....in standby the power usage is negligible.

| Tue 6 Dec 2016 13:49:34 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rick J

Thanks Barry
    So putting it into standby is just a matter of pushing the button top right on the handset (while its not recording) and pushing it again wakes it up? If so this could be done manually I suppose, putting into standby when going to bed, and waking it up next day. Or using the auto-off and auto-on facility in settings - I tried that on the first night we had it and it didn't wake up the next day, but at that point I hadn't been through the adjustments advised in the other thread.

Or might it be easier just to leave it on all the time, it can't be using that much electricity!

Rick J

| Tue 6 Dec 2016 19:18:38 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Rick J - 18 minutes ago  » 
    Or might it be easier just to leave it on all the time, it can't be using that much electricity!

Easier yes but in my opinion you get better more reliable operation by putting it into standby overnight however not everybody agrees with that view.

| Tue 6 Dec 2016 19:40:19 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.