My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HD

Ethernet outside UK

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

AnnieB

I have a Humax Foxsat HD and I live in France.

Is there any point in my connecting an Ethernet lead between the box and my ADSL router? Indeed, if I make the connection from outside of UK will I damage the box?

| Tue 13 Nov 2012 11:33:13 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

No you will not damage the box but demand services check the IP being the connects to them is allocated to the UK. So if you are using an IP that is, it will work, if not (as would be usual if you are outside the UK) it will not.

| Tue 13 Nov 2012 11:42:11 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

AnnieB

Thanks, that is how I understood it but I just wanted to check.

Such a shame really. I could do with being able to catch up on some programs.

I also assume that the ethernet will not pick up anything from Europe with this particular box.

| Tue 13 Nov 2012 13:38:09 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

AnnieB - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks, that is how I understood it but I just wanted to check.
    Such a shame really. I could do with being able to catch up on some programs.
    I also assume that the ethernet will not pick up anything from Europe with this particular box.

No, I am afriad not.

| Tue 13 Nov 2012 13:52:29 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

AnnieB

However, it works perfectly in Europe for the ITV iplayer. ITV1, 2, 3 and 4. Only the BBC iplayer is unavailable.

| Fri 16 Nov 2012 20:41:02 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

3phase

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a similar question to the o.p.
    We live in Spain and have been able to watch itv player but not bbc iplayer exactly like the lady mentioned.
    We now use a vpn and have a separate router that hides the ip. The system worked great until last week when the internet through the uk router started slowing making it impossible to use the service. The vpn company did a remote session and we can again watch uk stuff but only on other devices not via the humax box. They say that the humax has problems with the DNS settings etc and cannot be made to work. Does anyone know whether this is actually true or has anyone managed to get round this?
    Humax Foxsat HDR 500gb

| Wed 20 Nov 2013 14:37:03 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

This is a somewhat tricky subject as regards forum policy.

The BBC and most other services do check for a UK IP which you will have with traffic using a UK based VPN.

It is also true that the Humax Sat boxes (all of them) cannot be set to directly use a VPN (or a Proxy using port 8080).

From a technical point of view it is possible to achieve what you want using several methods and it sounds like you have already used one of these and currently have it incorrectly setup.

| Wed 20 Nov 2013 16:48:00 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

3phase

Yes I fully appreciate the grey area that this falls into, well I suppose it's extremely dark grey to black, but there are several thousand affected by the forthcoming astra 2E sat footprint missing parts of southern Spain and this possibility might at least help them to get some use out of their Hummy boxes before they turn into paperweights.

Many thanks for your reply.

| Wed 20 Nov 2013 20:24:06 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

3phase - 56 minutes ago  » 
    Yes I fully appreciate the grey area that this falls into, well I suppose it's extremely dark grey to black, but there are several thousand affected by the forthcoming astra 2E sat footprint missing parts of southern Spain and this possibility might at least help them to get some use out of their Hummy boxes before they turn into paperweights.
    Many thanks for your reply.

The Private message facility is available where I might be more open.

| Wed 20 Nov 2013 21:21:47 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.