My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

External Hard Disc woes

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jpalancaster

I've been trying to copy files from my 320 GB HDR onto an external hard disc with little success. Having successfully tried a FAT32 formatted 320GB drive (which allowed me to copy over files less than 4GB in size), I thought I would use a disc with larger capacity, primarily to move HD recordings off the internal HDD.

I got hold of a 2TB disc which I mounted in an external enclosure. The disc is formatted to EXT3 and the enclosure has a USB3 connector. The disc will mount OK, but it keeps disconnecting after a short period of time. I can start copying recordings over, but they never finish, meaning that they simply stop playing back perhaps half or two-thirds of the way through.

The encrypted files that have failed to copy now have a disc with a line through icon next to them on the HDD, and I'm unable to try moving them again.

I've tried the external disc on a Linux computer and I can move any number of files onto it without it disconnecting itself.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

John

| Fri 24 Jan 2014 13:11:58 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Donj

SD or HD files. I am not sure you can copy HD files. Whenever I tried on my old Humax it failed.

| Fri 24 Jan 2014 14:46:12 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jpalancaster

Both! Long SD files fail to copy correctly as well as HD.

| Fri 24 Jan 2014 15:02:37 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Once you try and copy a HD encrypted file with copy once flag, the flag is set that the file has been copied once whether or not the copy completes. The easiest solution is install the custom firmware, connect the drive to a PC with ext2fs installed and ftp the files directly to the USB drive. Suspect the drive size is the problem If I remember correctly Raydons Av2hdr is able to reset the copy once flag.

| Fri 24 Jan 2014 17:05:20 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

jpalancaster

Thanks Graham. Do you think if I partitioned the drive to, say 1.5 TB it might solve the problem?

I'm not too bothered about the HD files that have the copy once flags checked, I'm more concerned with having a drive that can connect to the HDR and stay connected so that I can move files onto it!

John

| Fri 24 Jan 2014 17:09:10 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

jpalancaster - 1 minute ago  » 
    Thanks Graham. Do you think if I partitioned the drive to, say 1.5 TB it might solve the problem?
    John

Possibly,the Foxsat will work with 2TB drives.

| Fri 24 Jan 2014 17:13:37 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Does the drive have it's own power supply?

| Fri 24 Jan 2014 17:48:18 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

jpalancaster

Yes it does have its own PSU. I will try 1.5TB and see if that means it will connect and hold the connection and report back, unless anyone else has any other ideas?

| Fri 24 Jan 2014 17:54:49 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.