My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Factory reset on FOXSAT-HDR

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

richard223

Hi guys,

I've done a really silly thing on my Foxsat HDR box (which I've had for a couple of years - without any problems at all until now).

Basically, I performed a factory reset on the machine and the unit can only find a satellite signal/channels through a manual channel search (If i perform a Freesat automatic channel search, it spends an eternity searching without success). So for now, I have 500 or so channels that have been detected through the manual channel search (all in a strange order). It all looks very unfamiliar now!

Am I the only fool to have performed a factory reset? I doubt it, in which I case I am hoping there is a way I can get my Humax to successfully manage an automatic Freesat channel search, and to get the EPG back in its familiar format.

I hope you guys can give me some good news and hope I've explained this annoying issue clearly enough.

Cheers.

Richard

| Mon 11 Feb 2013 7:37:46 #1 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Have you got snow on your dish? Lots of reception problems on satellite services being reported at the moment due to the weather (including here for me).

| Mon 11 Feb 2013 8:40:11 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

richard223

Hi Gomezz,

Snow is not the issue. TV channel reception seems to be perfect on 'Manual Tune'. The problem with this is that I now have a list of lots of familiar looking channels, AND lots of Sky related ones which never used to appear, and all this in a non-Freesat format (it looks a mess!).

I think I have caused this problem by performing the factory reset - which has automatically changed some settings, meaning that I can no longer find a satellite signal through 'Freesat tune'.

I stress - there is no problem with the dish alignment/weather as I can easily pick up a reception through 'Manual Tune'.

Anyway, if anyone can recommend a way for me to get back to the familiar 'Freesat EPG' set up, it would be most appreciated. (If only I could get the 'Freesat tune' mode to allow me to find a satellite signal, the problem would be solved..

Many thanks,

Richard

| Mon 11 Feb 2013 9:42:32 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Your problem is most likely a dish alignment issue. To set up the box it must be able to access the Freesat home transponder which is on Eutelsat28A at 28.5E. This downloads a postcode database which is used to set up your regional channel allocation based on the postcode you used.

Using manual tune select the following transponder and check the signal strength and quality.

11428.00 H DVB-S QPSK 27500 2/3 (it may say a slightly different frequency on your box)

There is also on TV channel on this transponder (FASHION ONE) if you can't view this channel then it's definetely the cause of your problem.

| Mon 11 Feb 2013 10:44:10 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

richard223

Thanks for this Graham. It's started snowing now in fact (typical!) so now's not the best time for me to be searching for satellite signals. However, an initial check (on manual tune) looks quite negative. That's to say, I can access Transponder 1148H 27500A but it looks like it's not finding any channels (maybe this is due to snowy conditions but I don't feel optimistic). On the Manual tune screen, I have the following display:

Tuner: Tuner 1 (Fixed)
    Satellite: Freesat 28.2E
    Transponder: 11428H 27500A
    Network Search: Disable
    Scrambled Type: FTA
    Channnel Type: All

For the above, do you think the second line down (Satellite: Freesat 28.2E) is significant? It is fixed on 28.2E and doesn't give me the option to change it.

I am really regretting having performed the 'factory reset' now!

Anyway, hopefully all is not lost.

Cheers.

Richard

| Mon 11 Feb 2013 11:06:13 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

richard223 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks for this Graham. It's started snowing now in fact (typical!) so now's not the best time for me to be searching for satellite signals. However, an initial check (on manual tune) looks quite negative. That's to say, I can access Transponder 1148H 27500A but it looks like it's not finding any channels (maybe this is due to snowy conditions but I don't feel optimistic). On the Manual tune screen, I have the following display:
    Tuner: Tuner 1 (Fixed)
    Satellite: Freesat 28.2E
    Transponder: 11428H 27500A
    Network Search: Disable
    Scrambled Type: FTA
    Channnel Type: All
    For the above, do you think the second line down (Satellite: Freesat 28.2E) is significant? It is fixed on 28.2E and doesn't give me the option to change it.
    I am really regretting having performed the 'factory reset' now!
    Anyway, hopefully all is not lost.
    Cheers.
    Richard

No significance in saying 28.2E, 28.2E and 28.5E are so close they are often lumped together under just 28.2E.

Because 28.2E uses non standard lnb skew then a comprimise setting is required to get both.

Without access to the home transponder your box will get more and more out of date because you won't get software and channel changes that come from here, so in fact your reset has done you a favour in highlighting the reception issue.

| Mon 11 Feb 2013 12:18:56 #6 |
  7. gomezz

gomezz

special member

A silver lining to every snow cloud.

| Mon 11 Feb 2013 12:34:42 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

richard223

thanks guys, but the issue still remains.

I definitely have a strong enough satellite signal now, however, on Freesat tuning mode, it won't accept a postcode, meaning, I can only tune via 'Manual tune'. If only I could successfully tune using 'Freesat tune' the problem would be solved I think..

Am I doomed to a life of non-Freesat tune madness?

| Mon 11 Feb 2013 12:42:39 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

richard223 - 44 minutes ago  » 
    thanks guys, but the issue still remains.
    I definitely have a strong enough satellite signal now, however, on Freesat tuning mode, it won't accept a postcode, meaning, I can only tune via 'Manual tune'. If only I could successfully tune using 'Freesat tune' the problem would be solved I think..
    Am I doomed to a life of non-Freesat tune madness?

What sort of signal strength and quality is indicated on the home transponder using manual tune ? If you scan the transponder do you get a viewable picture from FASHION ONE ?

| Mon 11 Feb 2013 13:28:32 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

richard223

If I select transponder as 11428H 27500A on the manual tune and then carry out a channel search, then I get a message saying no channels can be found.

However, if I put the transponder back to 'All', then a manual tune search brings up 403 different channels. Fashion One is not among them. I know that the satellite connection is good as Sky News is broadcasting perfectly (but on channel 5197 whereas it used to be on 202).

In terms of signal strength, the strength and quality bars both register 0% when reading off the menu/manual tune screen. However if I click the 'i' button on the remote contro, then I get a read of around 80% for both strentgh and quality bars.

Any ideas at this stage? Many thanks.

| Mon 11 Feb 2013 15:27:22 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.