My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Format HDD failure

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Egrosvenor

I have tried to format the drive in my FVP-4000T.
    Goes through the “are you sure” etc, asks for my pin, which I enter.
    Box then goes ‘Processing’ for about 15 seconds then come up with a message,
    Format failed due to unknown error, and reboots.
    Tried all kinds of things including a factory reset but the same thing keeps happening.
    Tried to search on here but can’t find an answer?

| Sun 14 Jun 2020 11:51:01 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

pigolato

If you're OK with losing existing recordings, I would take the disc out of the Humax and try to format/repartition it in a PC, then retry in the Humax.
    I have swapped hard discs twice in two FVP4000Ts, and had no trouble with the boxes initialising new discs.

| Mon 15 Jun 2020 8:47:24 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Egrosvenor - 21 hours ago  » 
    I have tried to format the drive in my FVP-4000T.
    Goes through the “are you sure” etc, asks for my pin, which I enter.
    Box then goes ‘Processing’ for about 15 seconds then come up with a message,

It sounds to me that the file system has probably become read only after a corruption. Providing the hard drive is OK it could probably be restored to health by attaching it to a computer running a Linux based operating system other wise Pigolato's idea of formatting it (or wiping it) on a Windows PC is sensible.

| Mon 15 Jun 2020 9:42:45 #3 |
  4. paulrichardson

paulrichardson

I realise that this is an old post, but I have the same problem with a S/H FVP-4000T I've just bought.

I was only re-formatting the drive, to make it as "original" as possible after a factory re-set.

As far as I know it records and plays back OK.

My question is do I need to worry about the format error, if it's working OK?

| Thu 22 Jul 2021 16:49:11 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

paulrichardson - 4 hours ago  » 
    I was only re-formatting the drive, to make it as "original" as possible after a factory re-set.
    As far as I know it records and plays back OK.
    My question is do I need to worry about the format error, if it's working OK?

I think it is a concern if it won't format properly. How much testing have you done to convince yourself it is working OK?

| Thu 22 Jul 2021 21:31:36 #5 |
  6. paulrichardson

paulrichardson

Martin Liddle - 14 hours ago  » 

I think it is a concern if it won't format properly. How much testing have you done to convince yourself it is working OK?

I've only had it working for a couple of days and am still in the "playing" stage so I've not even watched a whole program on it yet.

I've recorded some stuff and it appears in the "Recordings" and I've played back "bits" and they worked, but nothing thorough yet, just getting used to how it works really.

| Fri 23 Jul 2021 12:02:21 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

paulrichardson - 2 days ago  » 
    I've only had it working for a couple of days and am still in the "playing" stage so I've not even watched a whole program on it yet.
    I've recorded some stuff and it appears in the "Recordings" and I've played back "bits" and they worked, but nothing thorough yet, just getting used to how it works really.

Understood. I think my advice would be try it and see what happens; don't be too surprised if you need a new drive at some point in the future.

| Sun 25 Jul 2021 16:09:55 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

tv-tony

Why don't you put a drive in that is alien to you machine? If it's formatted to NTFC your recorder should manage it perfectly.

| Mon 26 Jul 2021 20:19:18 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

tv-tony - 1 hour ago  » 
    Why don't you put a drive in that is alien to you machine? If it's formatted to NTFC your recorder should manage it perfectly.

Do you mean NTFS rather than NTFC? Why would that help? I would expect the FVP-4000T to want to reformat it.

| Mon 26 Jul 2021 21:43:21 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

tv-tony

Sorry Martin, meant NTFS, damned dementia, had a number of Humax machines that would only perform with a totally clean drive.

| Thu 5 Aug 2021 10:33:11 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.