My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Other Humax Products

Formatting of HDD in Humax

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

humhum

I formatted my 3T Segate external drive in my Humax 1000T.I can transfer files to the drive. But when i connect the drive to Windows i cant see the files. The drive isn't in explorer however it is in disk manager. How can i view the drive?

| Mon 22 Jan 2018 11:31:50 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Windows can't natively read Linux EXT3 drives. You either need to boot your PC into linux (You can download a linux image to a usb stick), or use a Linux FS driver for windows.

https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/1710

http://www.ext2fsd.com/

| Mon 22 Jan 2018 11:59:51 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

humhum

Those Linux drivers seem to be a bit complicated to install. I could install Ubuntu on a spare drive and then i can see the other drive.

Why aren't the flash drives affected?

| Mon 22 Jan 2018 13:29:22 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

humhum - 37 minutes ago  » 
    Those Linux drivers seem to be a bit complicated to install. I could install Ubuntu on a spare drive and then i can see the other drive.
    Why aren't the flash drives affected?

Presumably because the flash drives are formatted FAT32. a file system that windows understands.

You don't need Ubuntu on a spare drive. Ubuntu is a version of Linux. You need to boot your PC into Linux instead of Windows to read the hard disk the Humax formatted.

You can boot using a usb stick or DVD if you set your computer bios to allow booting from these devices.

| Mon 22 Jan 2018 14:09:53 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

humhum

What about if i format my drive into Fat32. Will this be recognized by the Humax if i do that.

| Tue 23 Jan 2018 12:34:02 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

humhum

grahamlthompson Thank you for your help too.

| Tue 23 Jan 2018 12:35:19 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

humhum - 15 minutes ago  » 
    What about if i format my drive into Fat32. Will this be recognized by the Humax if i do that.

Yes - but you are restricted to files 1 byte smaller than 4GB. If that's not an issue it should work.

| Tue 23 Jan 2018 12:51:09 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

humhum

I am recording a tv series and when i trim it down and cut out ads most of the files are 1.31GB or less. So it would suit me fine to use Fat32. The only problem is the formatting process takes a long time.

| Tue 23 Jan 2018 12:57:24 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

humhum - 2 minutes ago  » 
    I am recording a tv series and when i trim it down and cut out ads most of the files are 1.31GB or less. So it would suit me fine to use Fat32. The only problem is the formatting process takes a long time.

Not familiar with your specific box. No reason why you shouldn't format the hard disk NTSC on a PC and transfer the episodes using a usb stick. Some of the UK available boxes will let you copy the files directly to a PC using Samba or FTP which is a lot more convenient. Is there anything in the box menus that mentions a Samba or FTP server ?

| Tue 23 Jan 2018 13:03:46 #9 |
  10. Barry

Barry

senior admin

If the Unit is HMS 1000T (4 Tune) then it does indeed have Samba & FTP Server functions.

| Tue 23 Jan 2018 13:52:31 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.