My Humax Forum » Forum Site » Site Feedback

Forum software poll

(14 posts)
  • Question:- What is your preferred forum software
    bbpress 2.5 (wordpress plugin) : (0 votes)
    XenForo : (7 votes)
    54 %
    phpBB : (1 votes)
    8 %
    vBulletin : (1 votes)
    8 %
    bbpress 1.2 (stick to what we got) : (4 votes)
    31 %
    other (please post suggestion) : (0 votes)
    1. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

I agree with Trev. Replying/editing a quoted message is really difficult. You really need to be on the ball to avoid editing out the wrong blockquote and cites in the message. Is it any wonder that we end up with a quote within a quote within another quote?

| Sun 10 May 2020 10:42:40 #11 |
    2. Trev

Trev

special member

The latter is usually caused by:
      a. Someone using the quote key instead of the Reply box. (Either accidentally or in ignorance)
      b. Someone doing it deliberately to 'keep the conversation together' and thus making the whole thread extremely difficult to follow when one follows another, just getting longer and longer, when all you should really needed to do is to read consecutive posts without all the quotes within quotes.

| Sun 10 May 2020 11:36:11 #12 |
    3. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

All very true. But when you're used to the rambling posts in another place you get into the habit of wanting to quote the point you're referring to.

| Sun 10 May 2020 19:06:37 #13 |
    4. Trev

Trev

special member

Ah Ha. Absolutely.
      I was not really referring to quoting to pick the bones out of a previous post in Post #12. I was referring to those who blindly quote the previous post which itself contains a quote of the immediately previous post. Post #4 here is an example (not containing multiple quotes within quotes though). Madness.

What I was actually banging on about in Posts #7 & 10, was the difficulty of editing a post to pick out the salient points that you NEED to quote for clarity rather than quoting the whole message. Especially if you want to 'split' the quote into several sectiond. It's a nightmare here.

| Mon 11 May 2020 10:29:39 #14 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.