My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HD

Foxsat-hd linked to dual lnb suddenly failed

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

tonyowen

I have a satellite dish with a dual LNB output.
    One feed goes to a Foxsat HD receiver and a LG television.
    The second feed goes to a Sky digi box and a Toshiba television.
    System running without problem for several years until a couple of days ago.
    Now the Foxsat-HD system cannot find any satellite channels. (I’ve reset everything and still cannot find any satellite channels.)
    The Sky digi-box system still operates okay.
    However if the Foxsat-HD receiver is attached to the Toshiba TV then will set up and find all of the relevant satellite channels!!
    Also when I move the Foxsat-HD receiver back to the LG television, then that TV works.
    But the LG + Foxsat-HD receiver combination only (seems to) work if the Sky digi box and Toshiba are operating!!
    Do you have any idea as to what has happened to my Foxsat-HD receiver setup?
    The Foxsat-HD receiver details are:
    Software HZPTSF 1.00.28
    Loader U7.22
    System id 3SF1.0000
    Update date 08 Dec 2010
    Post coded LL689SW
    In addition the Foxsat-HD receiver setup states I’ve entered the wrong post code. I’ve entered LL68 9SW (with and without a space between 8 and 9) both are stated by the Foxsat-HD system to be wrong!! Also after entering the last character of the post code how does one leave that setup page?
    Regards
    Tony Owen

| Mon 6 Aug 2012 11:30:21 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Does the Foxsat work if you turn off the Sky box ?. If so you have a power supply issue with the Sky box DC output. Very common with Sky boxes made by Thomson.

It's also possible that you have a power supply issue with the Foxsat. Like the Thomson boxes they suffer from duff capacitors.
    Repair is very simple and cheap for either box. Lots of kits on the net.

Welcome to the forum.

| Mon 6 Aug 2012 11:48:13 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

tonyowen

Thanks for response.

NO, Switching off the Sky box leads to an immediate deterioration of the Foxsat reception followed, by (say) 30s later, loss of reception on the TV connected to the foxsat receiver.

regards

Tony

| Mon 6 Aug 2012 14:24:19 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

If you switch the connections does the Foxsat-HD now work on it's own ? The lnb may have failed, also check to see that water hasn't got into the coax connections. .

| Mon 6 Aug 2012 14:31:55 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

tonyowen

Thats the next stage. When I get my ladder back (from my gradddaughter - who is decorating her room) in the next couple of days!!

I'll unscrew, inspect and change over the lmb leads at the dish end.

Corrosion is highly possible as I live in a salt laden atmospher (north coast of Anglesey). But I'm surprised at the catastophic failure rather than a gradual deterioration of signal.

It is the cross-talk that has me fascinated/confused. It is almost as if the programmes are being sent from the Sky dig-box to the Foxsat received through the mains!
    regards

Tony

| Mon 6 Aug 2012 15:03:53 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

tonyowen

One problem solved - fault was a fractured connector!!!

The connector crumbled when taking it off the cable!!

New problem cannot drop the integral rain cover on the quad lnb (I thought I had a twin it turns out to be a quad).

I raised it to get to the connectors, but now cannot pull it down.

I tried using a 'modicom of force', but it is stuck!

regards

Tony

| Thu 9 Aug 2012 15:42:48 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

tonyowen - 1 hour ago  » 
    One problem solved - fault was a fractured connector!!!
    The connector crumbled when taking it off the cable!!
    New problem cannot drop the integral rain cover on the quad lnb (I thought I had a twin it turns out to be a quad).
    I raised it to get to the connectors, but now cannot pull it down.
    I tried using a 'modicom of force', but it is stuck!
    regards
    Tony

A new lnb from fleabay won't cost very much (about £10.00). Use Silicone grease to prevent further problems. They haven't made twin lnbs for Sky minidishes for a very long time.

| Thu 9 Aug 2012 17:05:36 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bargain Dave

The rain cover was missing when I installed the dish 18 months ago. A piece of amgamation tape round the the f connect, never been any problrm.

| Thu 9 Aug 2012 20:08:12 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Bargain Dave - 52 minutes ago  » 
    The rain cover was missing when I installed the dish 18 months ago. A piece of amgamation tape round the the f connect, never been any problrm.

Confused, how can it never have been a problem, it broke after 18 months ?. My lnb is getting on for 4yrs old.

Read this

http://www.satcure.com/tech/fconn.htm

| Thu 9 Aug 2012 21:03:12 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bargain Dave

grahamlthompson - 17 hours ago  » 

Bargain Dave - 52 minutes ago  » 

Confused, how can it never have been a problem, it broke after 18 months ?. My lnb is getting on for 4yrs old.
    Read this
    http://www.satcure.com/tech/fconn.htm

I put the dish up 18 months a go, which was a old dish and LNB that my daughter gave me whan sky installed a new one because she had a new sky box.
    The actual dish and lnb about 8 years old but work perfectly, however the plastic rain cover that slides up to protect the four f conectors is missing., which means the f conector are exposed to the elements but putting a piece of amalmation round the connector makes the connection water tight (i should think this is standard procedure for satellite instalation away the rain cover on these lnbs is a extra).

| Fri 10 Aug 2012 14:51:22 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.