My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

FOXSAT HDR Cooling fan stopped ?

(8 posts)
  1. Ianf

Ianf

My FOXSAT HDR, approx 2yrs old but with latest (Sept 2011) update, appears to not run the HDD cooling fan. Fan freely turns and measures OK ohms - not conclusive but certainly looks OK. Any thoughts/comments appreciated - could this be software update related ?
    (First post on any forum - so apologies if any bits/information/format missing) Thanks

| Sun 1 Jan 2012 15:41:04 #1 |
  2. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

If I remember correctly, the fan is thermostatically controlled. It will turn on if the temperature inside the box gets too hot. Certainly, the fan in my box does not activate when the box is first switched on.

| Sun 1 Jan 2012 16:01:01 #2 |
  3. Ianf

Ianf

Background is I found the unit quite warm, feeling the case directly above the HDD, and the fan not running. This was after about 1-2hrs of watching from HDD. I seem to remember that the last time I was near the unit the fan was on a lot more, certainly without the unit being warm to touch, hence wondered if software (Sept 2011) has altered the control. I agree that looking at the interface, as much as possible without circuit diag's etc, it is controlled in some way. I will run the unit again and double check. Many thanks for comment.

| Sun 1 Jan 2012 16:15:59 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Record two HD channels and replay a HD recording at the same time. If anything's going to make the fan run this ought to.

| Sun 1 Jan 2012 17:43:46 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

dave23572

Interesting!

I have also noticed that over the last few months my Foxsat-HDR has stopped working.
    The unit case does get fairly hot so I'm guessing this isn't right.
    If the case itself is that hot, the hard drive will be very hot and hot running drives isn't good for durability.

Unless the fans themselves are unreliable, this may be a new bug introduced in a recent firmware update.
    It's a shame that after all this time there are still quite a few bugs in the firmware.

I may call Humax about this this week.

| Sun 1 Jan 2012 18:19:15 #5 |
  6. Ianf

Ianf

Got unit hot again - no fan activity at all so will have to contact HUMAX. First thing noticed this time was that that some EPG functions stopped working - then checked diagnostics and found that some items were grayed out. Cooled it down - all working. If you get something first Dave - please post. I might temporarily connect a fan to the 12V supply in the meantime to protect the HDD. Thanks.

| Wed 4 Jan 2012 22:56:07 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Items in diagnostics are not available when you are recording something.

| Thu 5 Jan 2012 18:37:41 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

REPASSAC - 1 hour ago  » 
    Items in diagnostics are not available when you are recording something.

I should of prefixed that comment with "Some ..."

| Thu 5 Jan 2012 20:17:19 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.